Thursday, September 27, 2012

bells and whistles

My car has been giving trouble on a routine basis.
 I had brought it back to shop numerous times for the same issue and still, it wasn't resolved. I was hoping to hold on to it til at least after the winter but I had this nagging feeling that on the worst snowy/slushy/freezing rain day that my car would stall out at a red light and I would be stuck. 
Everyday I would have a hard time starting the car and then when I got it going it always felt like it was going to stall. Regardless, I really hated the idea of parting with my PT cruiser.
.There were things I really liked about this car but after hitting 110,000miles it was becoming increasingly unreliable and predictably unpredictable.
 I felt like I was breaking up with a long time boy-friend.
Unfortunately, I had to do it.
There were certain things I look for in a vehicle.
1# It has to be made in the USA (sorry, no Japanese cars. The Japanese still hunt whales. My motivations are purely ethical  so don't waste your time telling how great Japanese cars are)
2# It has to be good in the snow. Winters suck big time in New England and I have to drive in this white shit.
3# It has to be big enough to carry multiple bird cages.
4# It has to have decent gas mileage
5# And like  a "new boyfriend", it has to be "cute".
So I ended up with a Jeep.
I had planned on buying a pre-owned vehicle in the hopes of vehicle that didn't have all these la de da features and gadgets. I am the most technologically challenged person in the world.
My PT cruiser was probably the last car made that still had roll down windows and used an ordinary key.They just do not make car stripped down like that anymore with just the basics.
This "new" car has all kinds of bells and whistles.
I still don't know what half the stuff is used  for.
One feature worth noting is an "automatic starter remote".
I have this starter remote hidden away and locked up.
I made the mistake of leaving it on the counter.
As you readers might remember how my pigeon has an affinity for the TV remote.
I'll let you guess what happened.(!)

2 comments:

  1. Now all we need is a picture of the cutie. With you at the wheel of course. Good for you, V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be hard to find a vehicle that doesn’t have any new technological features and gadgets. Why won’t you give it a try? I know you’ll get used to it in time, especially if you use the car often. Some features can be really handy, such as the traction control and power windows.

    ReplyDelete