Wednesday, April 25, 2012

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 70

I took Craow Dum for his third and final doxycycline injection. Despite using the antibiotic drugs of choice (doxycycline, baytril and clindamycin ) and  optimal methods (nebulizer)(oral applications) and (injections) he is still is a booger machine.
Yesterday, I think, bone fragments came out of his nares. His choana (throat hole) was inflamed as well. It is puzzling and frustrating.
The vet suggested oral and nasal flushes but due to his deformed nasal cavity and sinus blockage  he could aspirate (drown). It is very risky and still, it may not do anything.
Also a different but similar antibiotic was suggested but again, it would have to be administered orally and there was no guarantee that it would work.
So for now, we can only do palliative treatment by giving  him a couple of drops of metacam (anti-inflammatory) daily and keep his nose clean.
He remains a good,even a little chubby, weight of 329 grams and poops perfectly. I wish I could do more but as of right now, unless the vet has any other options, I think we will just carry on by just maintaining the status quo with him.
sigh....

2 comments:

  1. I think the picture shows him smiling at you, V. I think he's happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's frustrating but I am doing my best. Oh no! he s standing here staring at me right now as I type away!LOL!

    ReplyDelete