Tuesday, April 17, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 67


* when I thought of Craow Dum having to use a nebulizer this vision popped into my mind

* Here is my make-shift hospital-nebulizer treatment center. It consists of the air-powered nebulizer snaked through an opening on the top covered with plastic in an 10 gallon aquarium.


* Here is Craow Dum having his first nebulizing treatment.




Craow Dum had a follow up appointment today . He got a second injection of 20mg/ml/ml doxycycline. He also got his baytril/saline mix for his nebulizer.
His culture showed that he had some nasty gram negative bacteria in his sinus :Klebsiella.
As I recall "Smitty" the budgie was infected with this bacteria as well. The vet suspected he caught it from eating dirty seaweed. Smitty was found outside on the beach pecking around on the sand.
I am guessing Craow Dum got this bacteria from a seagull bite on his beak. Both rats and seagulls are prone to carry klebsiella.
He may need one more injection of the doxycycline. As of right now, I had to fill the nebulizer cup with 10ml of the baytril mix and let it run for 10 minutes. I will have to do this twice a day for 5 days.
He didn't seem to mind being put in the make-shift nebulizing chamber.It is a 10 gallon aquarium with a plastic bag covering the top. I rigged up the tubing so it stays upright in order for it to steam out properly.
He actually fell asleep. I kept an eye on him to make sure he was just in fact just sleeping!
I hope and pray this helps him!

1 comment:

  1. If he fell asleep, that has to indicate that the treatment is less stressful than the previous one. Good for you guys!

    ReplyDelete