Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Vicar of Salisbury

One of my favorite TV shows was "The Vicar of Dibley".The show ran for about ten years. It was a comedy about a female Vicar (Anglican priest) stationed in the country side of England. The cast of characters on the show were colorful and very likable. I was sad when the show ran it's course and ended.
Occasionally in the morning I take different routes when I do my daily jogs. I sometimes pass by an old 1920's style clap-board church with it's tilted steeple.On the open window pane of the steeple I see a very large pigeon sitting there standing guard. He/she has a grizzled fierce, but gentle face.
I call him/her the Vicar of Salisbury.
If my husband runs with me we will look up to the steeple to see if  The Vicar is standing watch. If I don't see him the first time I pass the church I will see him on my way back. I've seen other pigeons up there as well but the Vicar will "bust-a-move" at them showing that it is HIS parish and that He runs it.
I've seen ospreys in the nearby marsh area. Regardless of their presence, I think the Vicar has held his own.
I seriously don't think anyone has ever noticed him there before lording over the parish.
But I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment