Wednesday, October 5, 2011

St. Francis, where are you?!







On Oct 4th in Sao Paulo, Brazil, Catholic patrons celebrate Sao Francisco de Assis (St. Francis) by bringing their pets to church for a blessing. This means all kinds of pets from dogs, cats, birds and reptiles were invited!





I saw an ad in the local paper for the annual blessing of animals at a church in Methuen as well.





I need St. Francis's help ASAP!





Yesterday, it was pouring rain. I decided after my work and chores were completed to just hunker down with my birds. I just happen to notice one of my lutino tiels (Button) eyes was a little red in the corner. Conjuntivitis is fairly common in lutinos but it means something secondary is going on. Rather than "wait to see what happens" I immediately called the avian surgeon to see if they had an opening. They called me back within 30 minutes and told me to come right down.





It turns out she had a big time infection in her throat. Oddly, her infection was different than Patches and unrelated. She got an injection of Doxycycline. (20mg/ml/ml) This stuff is pretty potent. It is what is used to treat chlamydiosis-which is nasty.





Instead of feeling sorry for myself and feeling defensive in how I upkeep the birds in a hygienic state I decided to fine tooth comb the bird room for anything that might be making the birds sick. I got rid of the caclium cups first of all. I replaced wooden platforms. I changed and cleaned out the water filters. They are just small steps but I need to eliminate any factors that is even remotely problematic.





Patches seems to be getting better and Button seems alert.





The vet also inquired about Craow Dum. I told her he is doing fine but he makes a 'croaking" sound. She still thinks it is developmental defect but as always, keep an eye on him.





St. Francis, where are you?

3 comments:

  1. His aura is giving you the impetus to look closely at everything and to notice the problems before they become major.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly what I am doing now. I am not ruling anything out. I am now running the water filter a few minutes before I use it to drink just in case the water in stagnating in the filter. I run the dish washer more often too to santize their dishes. Small things but it is worth the try. Button is doing well after her 'shot". Oddly, I haven't seen or heard her pick (!) Maybe this "doxy" med was the magic bullet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So reptiles also have their own patron. Didn't know this until now. Good to know coz they have someone to turn to when times go tough.

    -admin

    ReplyDelete