Saturday, October 15, 2011

labeling



Labeling.



We all do it, even unintentially.



My mother enrolled me with a subscription of "Whole life" magazine because as she felt I would enjoy the magazine since (I) am "a health nut".

(I don't consider myself as a "health nut". I only work-out and eat right because I don't want a big fat ass. I don't work-out necessarily because I enjoy it)

Regardless, it is funny how she equates that "label" -"health nut" with me.



Where as, I look at this magazine as a "hippy dippy earthy-crunchy" rag with all it's ads for vitamens, hemp clothing and articles on yoga stretches.



Even I am "labeling".



This morning when I went for my crack-o-dawn jog I saw two mice scurring up a wall by a liquor store. My first reaction, was "oooooooh digusting!" I immediately equate ("label") mice and rats as nasty disgusting creatures.



I met a fellow diver on Easy Diver who had rats for pets.



He loved them!



He talked about how clean they were, affectionate and about their unique personalities. I realized that the same goes for pigeons. We talked about how much money we spent on our pet's vet visits too.



People label pigeons as gross, stupid and vile creatures. And of course, I beg to differ.



Arab countries view dogs as vile digusting creatures and of course, here in the USA, dogs have the same status as any family member. You abuse a dog here you go to jail.


It is funny and interesting how things are perceived in our mind's eye.



2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, not all dogs get to share in that family member status. Especially out here. So many "strays"... people buy them for Christmas presents, then let them go in the desert when they don't want them anymore. It's sad. I label too... I call those people A$$h0!3$.

    ReplyDelete