Monday, June 13, 2011

the Wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 25



You ever notice flowers growing out of a crack in the sidewalk?



If I tried to grow those flowers myself in a proper garden it would probably not grow at all.



It amazes me when I see a beautiful flower growing, thriving and surviving under conditions that I think would be impossible. It never ceases to surprise me how some things survive in the harshest conditions.



There is a whole new group of pigeons this year up at the beach.



I was amazed that Craow Dum survived this winter. The weather conditions were horrendous. I couldn't even get to the beach many days to at least feed him.



But sadly, by spring, after enduring the harsh winter he is now gone.



There is a new one in the fray. I call him "Mocha". This one has a brownish sooty coloring on his back.



JLo is still there as well as Hung Cow, Snowflake and Galok. I thought Brownie was gone for good but I saw him today up in the Walmart parking lot. Whitey is in Seabrook at the Rte. 95 overpass.



What thrilled me today was what I saw going on behind the Christie's pizza lighted sign.

Years ago the owners placed long thin spikes around the sign so the pigeons could not perch there. The pigeons figured a way to get behind the sign which is a good spot for them because it is protected from the elements and invaders. Despite the unpredictable weather conditions and the metal spikes the pigeons had made a nest in a tiny corner. I saw adult pigeons feeding a squab (baby pigeon) today.



That put a smile on my face.

3 comments:

  1. I see desert flowers growing out of sheer rock here in the desert all the time. Once in a while, there will be a tiny pine tree. I always wonder how something so fragile can grow, thrive even, in such a hostile environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very observant, V. You can tell the pigeons apart. I'm trying to do that now too. I think people would respect them more if they could distinguish individuals the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Pete recognizes the certain lobsters located at fav dive sites. :-P

    ReplyDelete