Sunday, June 19, 2011

Welcome to the Troll Cathedral part 5



Yesterday I spent the day with my cousin and her husband. We got up early to partake in the church breakfast buffet and their fundraising yard sale.



The breakfast was delicious and hearty. It makes me think of what it must be like to be a part of a tight knit community in southern states. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. We were invited to join them later in the early evening for hot dogs, lobster rolls (lobsters caught by locals) and home-made strawberry short cake (strawberries locally grown with home-made whipped cream and biscuits). Country gospel music would be the evening entertainment.



The church had a yard sale to raise money for summer bible school. I remember one year, my Aunt sent both my cousin and I to summer bible school . I think I was about ten years old.



I liked it too.



I remember the teachers being really nice, and patient. They would read bible stories to us. Even though it was hot out the church was cool. We got to sit comfortably on mats with blankets. I was always so used to sitting on hard benches upright so this was kind of nice and not getting yelled at constainly for fidgiting. At bible school we also got cookies and juice. We could have more than one cookie too. And a second glass of juice. Comfy mats, stories, cookies and juice made this a pretty darn good thing to do on a hot steamy day. (Other 'camps" I went to you were lucky to get a half of a F*&^ing graham cracker plus I was constainly gettting yelled at for something.)



After we went to breakfast, we checked out the yard sale. As I was wandering around, out of the corner of my eye in a box I saw something with bright pink hair. I opened the box and to my amazement there were all kinds of troll dolls. My cousin turned around and quietly said, "oooh nooo...."

I squealed in delight. I put eleven of them in a bag for purchase. One of the church volunteers cracked up and asked if I collected them. I nodded my head. She told me that these were the pastor's trolls. The pastor had collected them as well but was moving and had to give them up. I assured the volunteer that they would be going to a good home.



Later that night, we attended the strawberry shortcake festival. The church volunteer recognized me and waved.



I am now known as the 'troll lady".



Scary.

3 comments:

  1. It could be worse... you could look like one of them. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Troll Lady" Good one. At least you weren't called strolling troll or troll's troll or old troll lady. Ha.

    ReplyDelete