Tuesday, June 7, 2011

we all scream for ice cream!



Once again last friday I tuned in to Jamie Oliver's food revolution TV program.



He broke down the ingredients that go into certain processed food which is an eye opener.



This week he broke down the ingredients that make up an ice- cream sundae.



I was completely grossed out.



You would think an ice cream sundae would be made of simple ingredients, right?



Sprinkles (candy toppings) or as we say in Boston, "jimmies", were made of the nastiest crap. You would think, 'oh it is bits of chocolate", right?



Chemicals and chitin shells from insects



When I carefully looked at the ingredients of my skinny cow low fat ice cream sandwiches I read that this is made of chemicals, corn syrup (again) and just crap. It's not even real ice cream just a phoney baloney chem lab. When it melts the composition changes as well.



Jamie made his own ice cream and added real fruit to it to replace the processed store bought ice cream.



So I went out and bought an ice cream maker.



Prior to my purchase, I carefully researched the internet on various types of ice cream makers comparing price and simplicity of use. I also looked up recipes to make 'healthy low fat" ice creams as well.



Well, I tried my first batch.



I was a bit nervous at first thinking it would be flavorless and watery since I used lower fat dairy ingredients rather than whole fat cream. I know a tasty vanilla ice cream can be tricky.



The ingredients I used were really simple: low fat half and half, can of evaporated milk, skim milk, sugar, vanilla and chopped fresh strawberries.



OMG it was F*&^ing delicious!



I can't wait to try banana ice cream next!



or Coffee, or maple walnut..yum!

2 comments:

  1. Vanilla frozen yoghurt with strawberries and jimmys from the shop along the waterfront in Gloucester is my current favorite. The Captain is going with chocolate ice cream with strawberries and jimmys. I think your approach is a better one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Job, V. Some of my favorite memories of my grandmother was of her hand cranking homemade ice cream. Delish.

    ReplyDelete