Wednesday, June 29, 2011

In a bucket



Last weekend, my cousin and I went up to spend a few days in York beach Maine to celebrate her retirement from 30 years of teaching. The weather cleared and I felt pretty good so I was really looking forward to enjoying the beach up at York.
We stayed at a la de da hotel with an ocean view. The weather was perfect. It was sunny but not scorching hot. I went for a morning jog at the crack of dawn. We then took a walk up the street for a hearty breakfast. We enjoyed the beach in the morning then proceeded to the nice outdoor pool for a swim. I felt a slight migraine coming on. I wasn't sure if it was because of the sun or lack of food.I had a little snack and went back to room for a zomig before the migraine escalated.
I think it was too late.
I started to feel sick.
I went in the shower to rinse off and cool my head. The migraine went from an engine light warning to DEFCON5 in the matter of minutes.
I threw up in the shower.
And then I couldn't stop.
I figured, OK, if I lay down for a little while I'll be OK.
I wasn't ok.
It happened again. I couldn't even take a sip of water without throwing up. After six hours of heaving I was completely dehydrated.
I ended up in the York beach hospital with an IV and pain meds.
I am guessing this was "because of a migraine" but I still do not know. It is happening so often and without any lag time warning.
I hate to make plans or commitments because I am truly incapacitated when this happens.
As of today, the doctors still have no answers.

3 comments:

  1. You poor kid. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say York beach hospital is really nice, super clean and la de da. I was brought right in. Lahey hospital in Burlington is the dirtiest, grossest and the most indifferent hospital I've been admitted to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez, V. I hope they can come up with an answer as to the cause of this mystery ailment. I sent you an email (yahoo) to see if it could be some kind of allergy because of what I experienced when I was back there. It sounds really awful and alarmingly serious. Hope you are better. That really sucks.

    ReplyDelete