Wednesday, June 22, 2011

ice cream sandwich experiments



I am still on my quest to perfect the best (low fat) ice cream recipe.
When the ice cream churns out of the ice cream maker it looks great.

It's all creamy and yummy looking. However, when it sits in the freezer, even for a few hours, it turns into a big icy lump.
My first attempt at (low fat) vanilla ice cream came out pretty decent. I used fat free half & half instead of heavy cream. It tasted pretty good except for the fact that I am trying to eliminate corn syrup from my food. And fat free half & half has corn syrup added to it (!)
I made an attempt at chocolate banana ice cream using almond milk instead of milk products. It is fairly low fat at 3 grams of fat per serving.
However, the same situation happened.

It looked great all creamy and yummy coming out of the ice cream maker but then it turned into a lump of brown ice once it stayed in the freezer.
(I also had to add chocolate to the mix because the bananas were brown and it looked like shit)
I found yet another (low fat) banana ice cream recipe in which I will attempt. It has different ingredients and the process takes a little longer.
I had to experiment quite a bit in perfecting the perfect (low fat) scone recipe as well.
In my quest for the perfect ice cream recipe I thought about how I could make a decent ice cream sandwich similar to the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches (without all their corn syrup and processed additives).

Graham crackers would make the perfect cookie, I thought, since they are for the most part low fat compared to other cookies.
lt was an interesting discovery in my research of various graham crackers on the supermarket shelves. Not all graham crackers have the same ingredients. As I said before in past posts it takes me forever to food shop now since I read the labels thoroughly.
I picked up the Demoulas house brand of graham crackers since the label on the front advertised in bold letters "LOW FAT".
The price was only $1.50 a box.
It had 2.5 grams of fat. The calories per cracker is 150 calories.
Sounded ok, right?
However, the second ingredient listed is corn syrup and processed flour.
I picked up a box of chocolate Honey Maid graham crackers to compare.
The price was $3.29 a box.
It had 3 grams of fat. The calories per cracker is 120 calories.(!)
There is no corn syrup added in the ingredients. The main ingredient is whole grain graham flour.
I bought the honey maid graham crackers.
I am waiting patiently for the bananas to ripen to attempt once again a 'new" low fat healthy banana ice cream recipe.
Last night, I made an asian noodle soup recipe using cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and my home grown basil. It was a recipe taken from Jamie Oliver's food revolution cook-book.
OMG! It was F*&^ing delicious! Low fat, fresh and organic.

Cooking is like a science experiment.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking that one up right now. I LOVE pumpkin seeds. I also love that you keep giving me these great food ideas.

    PS. I read an article on ice cream making. They had a tip: "To keep your ice cream from becoming super-hard in the freezer, make sure both the ice cream maker and the mixture are kept ice cold as you're making the ice cream."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, you gotta freeze the container and the mix for at least a day prior to making the end result. So far, the 'grandma's low fat ice cream" has been successful I tried coffee ice cream and it came out shitty.

    ReplyDelete