Wednesday, June 15, 2011

wanderlust



I just finished reading the book "A Single Swallow" by Horatio Clare that my sister sent me for my birthday. The book basically chronicles Horatio's international expedition from his home country of Wales down through the jungles of Africa, Algeria, and Spain following the migration pattern of swallows. The trip changed him physically and mentally. At times he just barely survived in certain countries enduring cultural and environmental "hardships".



I've read snippets from Mark Bittner's life living as a drifter on the streets of San Francisco in a new book he is writing called "Street songs". He is also the author of "the Wild parrots of Telegraph Hill". I found it odd that one would actually chose to live on the streets rather than getting a "normal job" and rent an apartment.

I found it odd that this Horatio fellow would want to travel through hostile countries knowing he was risking his life not just by contracting some weird disease but being at the wrong place at the wrong time.



At yet, at the same time, I understand that need to pursue a certain almost obsessive goal. It's that need to fulfull the Bucket list of "must do" things even if that path is a bit arduous.



After seeing the movie "the Wild parrots of Telegraph hill' I flew to San Francisco in pursuit of seeing those wild parrots. I even met Mark Bittner on my journey.



When I've gone to Bonaire my mission is not only to go diving but to see wild parrots and iguanas.



My big bucket list item was to dive with whale sharks. I did that despite the long journey and a debilatating migraine that would not go away. Over twenty years ago, I spent time on a live-aboard to swim with wild dolphins. It was great except for the fact I was sea sick for a week AFTER I got home.



I loved riding my motorcycle. It gave me sense of unbridled adventure. I would pack a pair of underwear, a clean t-shirt and my toothbrush and then drive up to New Hampshire. It would take me all day to get to my destination because I drove back roads. It was exhausting but just F*&^ing wonderful.



There is a part of me that would love to study Icon painting in St Petersburg. It would certainly be a culture shock. I worry that I will be sick which is almost a definite. It all depends on how sick will I be. Would I be OK with some zomig and an anti-inflamatory? I would be gone for a long period of time and really far away especially jumping through a bunch of visa and permit hoops to be allowed to go to Russia to study religious art.



I haven't ruled it out. I just might do it.



Wanderlust.

1 comment:

  1. What a great adventure that would be. Do it, V. My only regrets in life are the adventures that I wanted to go on, but never did. We only live once...maybe we should both go for it.

    ReplyDelete