Thursday, October 28, 2010

confessions of a shoe addict


OK OK, I'll admit that I am a serious shoe fanatic.

I mean, I can not stop in a department store without just looking at the shoes.

Those TV commercials that advertise ladies designer shoes I stop dead in my tracks like I've been hypnotized and I unconsciously just stare at all those beautiful shoes with my mouth agape as if I am looking at a row of delicious pastry. I'll be the first to admit the selling point of my house was it's walk-in closet.

MY shoe closet.

There was days when I am feeling down that I will just sit in my closet and just look at all my shoes, line them up by color and heel height. One dreadfully rainy day I heard my husband calling for me for something. He yelled up on the top of the stairs and said, "Hey! Are you in your closet looking at your shoes!?"

It's scary how he knows me so well.

I'll invite close friends up to see the shoe closet.

And yes, I do wear all my shoes at various times and events.

During the regular work week, I'll wear just crappy sneakers or boots walking dogs. By the weekend, if I don't have to walk dogs, I need to satisfy my real shoe fix. I'll put on my designer heels if only for a few hours.

My longtime childhood friend was aghast at how many shoes I have. I actually cleaned out my closet of scroggie outdated scuffed up shoes. (I relinquished about 10 or so pairs of unusable shoes) I think I have about 70 pairs of shoes (This includes: boots, sandals, sneakers, flats etc..) Of course, I teased my friend back remarking at how many pocketbooks (purses) she owned. Now she has a serious pocketbook addiction. Ha!

I could definitely relate to the main character in the book "Confessions of a shopaholic" by Sophie Kinsella. She would almost hyperventilate when she would spot a pair of gorgeous shoes on sale in a shop window display..

She couldn't help herself.

I "get it".

In the book, "Secrets of a Shoe Addict" by Beth Harbison really had nothing to do with a shoe addict. The story involves four women who had got themselves in trouble financially for various reasons. One of the main characters had a shoe business that floundered. These ladies got themselves out of the financial hole by starting up a phone sex business. The story got a bit ribald for my taste but some of the predictaments these ladies got themselves into were rather hilarious.

But I digress...

My favorite pair of shoes?

Hmmm... I'm not sure. They are all my favorites.

Perhaps my leopard print Manolo Blahniks? Dolce and Gabbana teal boots? Or my pair of (no name) faux snake skin boots?

That was one of things I would look at in checking out guys too. First, it was the teeth and then it was the shoes. Sorry, I know it sounds shallow, but scrotty teeth and those hideous birkin stocks would scare me away.

Bless me Father for I have sinned.

I confess.

I AM a shoe addict.

4 comments:

  1. You are a serious addict, V. The shoe count of 70 blew my mind. Is there a Shoe Addict Anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm..it's more like about 60(ish) pairs. I got rid of AT LEAST 10 or more pairs of shoes that I never wear anymore.
    I know, I'm bad.
    The addiction started when I was 16 years old when I got my first paycheck. I spotted a pair of fabulous silver sparkle 6 inch platform shoes at "Fayva" shoe store. I wore those shoes to death. Next, came a pair of black vinyl 8 inch platform boots. It's been down hill ever since then......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Nothing wrong with a shoe addiction. Nothing at all. You can't OD on your shoes. You can't become "impaired" by looking at too many shoes, and crash into oncoming traffic. You can't get lung cancer from your shoes. Here's a confession...when I moved out here, I donated 80 pairs of various shoes, by various designers, to Boomerangs. I'm sure that made someone with a size 9B foot a very happy woman. I knew once I moved here, I would have no need for them. I did pick out 10 pair of favorites, just in case I was wrong... ;o) you never know.

    ReplyDelete