Monday, February 13, 2012

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 52


The weather this year has been unseasonably mild.
Believe me, I'm not complaining.
Last year was the worst winter I can ever remember. The nonstop combination of snow, ice, and freezing temps. It was unrelenting. By this time last year we had close to 80 inches of snow compared to this year of a little over 7 inches. I was also physically sick for the most of 2011.
I did, however, my best to get to the beach and feed the pigeons. The winter and the spring must have done a number of the pigeons. This year is an entire new flock of pigeons.
Not only do I not recognize any of them but they are not used to the morning feeding routines like the former ones did.
For Valentine's day, my husband bought me a rather rare out of print book, "The Public Life of the Street Pigeon" by British ornithologist Eric Simms.The book describes his day to day observations of the street pigeons of London.
The pigeons you see are not wild birds but are "feral" domesticated rock doves. They were at one time raised and used by people years ago and then released. Just think of feral cats. Cats were not originally from here. At some time ago they (or more likely their parents or grandparents or great grandparents) were somebody's pet. This goes the same for pigeons. They were used (and abused) and later discarded. I guess I should not be too surprised at how tame and "people-friendly" my pigeon is.
He had recently discovered how to climb the stairs up to the upstairs bedrooms. You walk out of the room and there he is staring up at you as if to say, "hi! Did ya miss me?"
I took my father out to celebrate Valentine's day on sunday. I got home late in the afternoon. The pigeon was not happy. He was twirling around "busting-a-move" with a loud trilling gurgle expressing his displeasure. Once I opened his pen, he ran over to the couch and hopped up onto his spot on the fleece blanket. He'll also 'bark' at me when his food dish isn't filled all the way up to the top. He will also purr with contentment when he sits on my lap.
Yes, I am talking about my pigeon not a cat!

2 comments:

  1. I know your picture shows Black Beard having a bath, but it also could be that he was being prepared for a roasting. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh he is such a naughty thing!
    Yesterday, he climbed over the barrier I made while I was painting the downstairs bathroom. I kicked him out and there he was again! I now have a wisteria coloured pigeon!

    ReplyDelete