Friday, February 10, 2012

valentine's day!


Some people get so friggin' weird and touchy when it comes to Valentine's Day.
I don't really understand why.
Maybe they equate this day solely as a" romantic passionate day" that you have to have an intimate partner. Or maybe just the opposite, you have somebody in your life but they continually disappoint you with their self absorbed attitude that Valentine's day is just a Hallmark holiday. Seriously? (I say "dump the chump" or "ditch the bitch")
Oh come on!
To me, it is a "friendship" holiday.
It's an excuse to let your friends know that you "like' them.
I send valentine's to my girlfriends. I buy gifts for my parents.
When I was single I was happy to get a valentine from my parents. I know some people would be dismissive of this because they would feel it doesn't count because it wasn't from a lover.
Really?
It's no wonder they sulk on February 14th.
My friendships have lasted waaaaaaay longer than any hot and heavy romantic encounter.
I am still close to my childhood friends.
I am talking friendships that I have lasted almost a half a century.
I will admit I kind of cringe when I see ads for so called "romantic gifts" such as fuzzy hand-cuffs, thongs and K-Y jelly products. EeeeeeeeW!
(I don't think shit like that is romantic. I think it is just GROSS!)
My husband is not a big flower-buying-type-of-guy or an expensive jewelry type either.
He will surprise me with little thoughtful gifts that I find as super special. One year he bought me sneakers with cockatiel pictures on them. Christmas time he bought me a little toy stuffed pigeon. I know he had to do some research in order to find these things.We've been with each other long enough to know what will put a little smile on our faces. I sometimes call him "Dagwood"(from the comic strip "Blondie") because he is a happy little clam when I make his favorite food dish. We have a lasting friendship because we "get" each other.
To all my pals out there, have a happy valentine's day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment