Saturday, December 3, 2011

santa's workshop



According to a 2006 gallup poll, 76% dog owners and 67% cat owners buy their pets Christmas gifts. Every December issue of Bird Talk magazine is featured a section :"gifts for your pet bird" .



Yes, we spoil our pets.



I'm no different.



I give Christmas gifts to my pet sitting customers as well as their pets. This is usually a small bag of treats or small toy for dogs and cats, or a home-made toy for the birds. I have even given strap-on (faux) reindeer antlers or santa hats as gifts for dogs to wear for funny photo ops.



Birds are a little fussier when it comes to toys. I have know what they like to play with. I know my birds like paper or balsam wood toys that they can wreck. They love anything with shoe-laces or wicker balls. If they destroy the toy then I know they liked it.



My customer's birds I've observed like similar toys to what my birds like. I will make a bunch of fun bird friendly toys for them.



I ordered a pile of wicker balls, chinese finger pulls, straws, balsam wood strips, wicker stars, tiny plastic chains etc..to make an array of colorful bird wrecking toys.



My dining room table will look like santa's workshop with all the toy making supplies spread all over the table. And of course, the cockatiels will "insist on helping me" make the toys. They will grab the straws and run away with them. I will no doubt find plastic beads scattered all over the floor. Most of the balsam wood will be chewed before I even string them on a cord.



Craow Dum the pigeon doesn't play with toys but I noticed he just loves to snuggle on the fuzzy fleece blanket on the couch. I made him a little "quilt" of fleece stuffed with quitters batting. It will be soft and fluffy for him.



Yes, talk about being spoiled!

2 comments:

  1. Photos of the finished toys, prior to their destruction by the feathered folk, please. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes.. photos with him snuggling it would be cool too... no pressure :o)

    ReplyDelete