Sunday, January 9, 2011

sci fi


One of the most remarkable classes I had taken as an elective in college was "science fiction 101". It was a humanities study of great science fiction writers. Science fiction, at least for me, helped me see things in the abstract.

As a result of having to take such a course, I can now really appreciate a good science fiction novel and movie.

Some of the sci fi movies I have seen have been "thought provoking", humorous, and some are just downright scary and F*&^ed up.

My favorite sci fi movie of all times is "Jurassic Park".

I've listed other fav sci fi movies, in my opinion, that are worth seeing.

OK here goes.

"Planet of the Apes" (Ya gotta love Charlton Heston in a skimpy loin cloth even though the movie scared the crap out me. Hey, I was only 8 years old when I saw the original)

I also liked the newer version of the "Planet of the Apes" with Mark Wahlberg. It got you thinking about religion and it's mass manipulation implications.

"A.I" (This movie was a train wreck but you just couldn't stop watching it. I've seen it twice.It is totally f*&^ed up)

"Alien" (OMG..Alien 1, 2 and 3 were by far the scariest movies ever. "Predator" was pretty horrifying too)

"The Island" (It was kind of scary and creepy)

"Demolition Man" (Ya gotta love Slyester Stallone. I liked "Judge Dredd" too!)

"Pitch Black" ( I know, I know it was kind of bad but Vin Diesel is fun to look at)

"Surrogate" (Weird)

"Deep Blue" (Completely stupid and campy but funny in a sick sort of way.

"Splice" (I just saw this movie. It was completely F&*^ed up. It kind of makes you think of how stem cell cloning can go wrong)


I am sure after I finish writing this post I will remember other classic sci fi movies worth mentioning, but this is all I have for now.

*Sorry folks, I'm not going to list "Star wars" or Star Trek". To me, these aren't science fiction movies but just silly costumed fantasy flicks for nerds and geeks.


Hey, feel free to comment on your fav sci fi flicks. :-P

4 comments:

  1. 2001 - A Space Odyssey is my favorite. We saw it when it first came out. Fred and I both felt it was going to be a classic. We took his parents to see it and they weren't impressed at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I need to rent that one (2001 Space Odyssey). I must of seen it but I need to refresh my memory!
    Oh another "classic" was the "the Fly". Do NOT eat chinese food before seeing this movie. It's gross but intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a selective sci-fier... I did see all the movies you mentioned except for "Splice". I agree with you on all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG how could I forget .."district 9".
    That was one of the BEST sci fi movies I've seen in along time......

    ReplyDelete