Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bowling for cockatiels


My husband and I have been trying out this new wii system.

It is an interactive sports game that gets you off the couch. You feel as if you are really playing say, golf , baseball or other sports. The one my husband and I like to play is bowling.

I know it sounds lame but it is actually kind of fun.

Believe it or not you are exercising a little bit as if you are really bowling. It's just like 'real" bowling because I was messing around and "dropped the ball" and it almost hit 'other players" in the virtual bowling alley. My right shoulder and left bum muscle was sore after playing for an hour. It's actually better than "real 'bowling because you don't have to wear those smelly hideous shoes.
It's a low impact activity to do in the winter right after dinner rather than plopping down on the couch like a sofa spud. You probably burn the same amount of calories as if you were going out for an after-dinner walk.

We also created "avatars" of ourselves that are the players which is kind of funny.

No, they are not those "cool" avatars because it is not that advanced. If it was, I'd fashion myself after Laura Croft. HA!

So when we started "bowling", we yelled at the screen when we did gutterballs, failed to hit the pins or if we did a strike. The birds heard all the commotion in the living room and had to investigate. One by one, each of the nosy cockatiels flew in to check out what we were doing by landing on each of us. One would be on my head another on my shoulder. They would squawk everytime we swung our arm to "roll the ball".

After awhile "Button" (one of my lutino females) would get bored and decide that chewing on my gold necklace would be a more interesting thing to do. Every once in awhile she would pinch my neck causing me to miss my target roll. "Fresh Baby" (another female lutino) would spread her wings while sitting on my husband's shoulder and squawk at him because she wasn't getting enough attention. After playing four rounds, my shirt was completely covered with bird poop. "Eddie" (normal grey) was happy just sitting on my head regardless of my movements. You can just imagine what my hair looked like.

After we finished playing, we switch the channel of wii system onto it's internet connection feature. We put on http://www.youtube.com/ . We can now watch youtube on our TV. The birds delighted in this because we clicked onto "mitso the budgie". Mitso is a hilarious chatty parakeet.

Yup, so we found something that not only my husband and I could have fun with but also the cockatiels during this long cold winter.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast! Well, except for the bird poop part. I'd like to fore go that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fun. It's way better than playing cards at least you are moving!

    ReplyDelete