Monday, December 20, 2010

Victorian tea Christmas rip-off


My husband and I traditionally make reservations to have our own little Christmas dinner at a nice restaurant just before Christmas.

This year, we decided to something different.
We made reservations for an afternoon Victorian tea party at a Victorian bed & breakfast Inn. You had to make reservations far in advance because seating and times were limited before the Christmas holiday. You also had to pay in advance which was $64.00 per couple. I thought that was a bit steep for "lunch" but I figured, OK, it must be pretty la de da. I've been to high tea before in Bermuda (and London) and I really enjoyed it. As I had posted in a previous post I am bit of a tea snob.

I think this is where I made a mistake.

I guess I had high expections.

When I sat down, the server handed us each a tea bag and pot of tepid water.

I thought to myself, "you've got to be shitting me. This tea isn't even brewed? Gross."

I said nothing and just tried to stay positive.

(In Bermuda, we each got a pot of freshly brewed tea.)

Next, the server came out with a small plate of four tiny bite size sandwiches. I ate them in a period of two seconds figuring that they were just appetizers.

That was the meal.

(In Bermuda, we got a multi-tier of all different sandwich halves to sample. I was actually full from just munching on those sandwiches and did not need to have dessert.)

Then the server then came out with the dessert plate which consisted of four petit fours to share. I whispered to my husband, "I think this is it". He whispered back, "oh no, they must be coming back out with a main meal soon".

That was indeed it.

When we left the inn, we sat in the car in silence for a few minutes before speaking letting the reality sink in that we got totally ripped off.

I was the first to speak and said,"OK, that was a f*&^ing rip-off...and I'm still hungry."

He replied, "Yeah, I think you're right. That wasn't like Bermuda's high tea".

"You wanna get some Chinese food?"

"Definitely!!!!"

I guess we have to fly to Bermuda to enjoy a proper high tea.....

2 comments:

  1. I am very happy with Red Rose tea, I had number of other teas but Red Rose is strong and has a good taste to it. Dunkin Donuts has good tea also. I know people like Dunkin Donuts for their coffee but I don’t drink coffee. I do have to say that the tea has to be boiling hot, hot enough where if you spill it some pea brain lawyer with no morales, might be a republican, would sue because it was too hot. Unfortunately an ambulance chaser that come to mind is John Edwards who is a Democrat. Piece of crap. I would write to the place that you went to and tell them how you felt about their service. Many a time I said that I would do just that but never did; that is why those businesses get away with bad service. I never had high tea but any tea that is not hot I return it right away

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about red rose tea. That brand is by far the best 'tea bag' tea.
    They are the only company that makes a good decaf tea.
    I had to tell the server at this inn to turn down the music. I couldn't stand it.For some reason, they think people actually want to listen to Mariah Carey screaming christmas music. To me, her voice sounds like a cross between a baby crying on an airplane and a fax machine.

    ReplyDelete