Friday, December 17, 2010

Life is like an art project


The one thing I really like about this time of year, believe it or not, is the all the events and parties I get invited to.

No, I'm not a 'party person" but I do enjoy dressing up for an special occasion and seeing close friends and family.

I'm not a social butterfly by any means. If anything, I'm a bit standoffish. I was the kid in the playground by myself but it never bothered me. It bothered my mother since she was "Miss prom Queen" but it never bothered me. I had to consciously learn to be social.

I have a real hard time mixing at my local Chamber of Commerce "mixers". It's a real conscious psychological effort for me to put on my "Mitt Romney" face to shake hands and talk about my business. I tend to sit by myself. It does not come naturally for me. Some people are born naturally charismatic and have a knack of being someone of interest.

I'm not on facebook or care to be on any of those social networking nonsense either. I really don't get it, seriously.

The people I want to see, I see.

I look at going to these social events like it is an art project.

I spend hours deciding on what to wear, putting on make-up and thinking about topics of conversation. Everything is an art project to me.

Sometimes my 'project' is successful and sometimes it is not, just like my many paintings.

It's a conscious thoughtful planning event. I map things out in pictures.

I am guessing engineers approach everything too like they are solving a mathmatical equation as well.

I know my husband does.

Just putting a tie on he has to calculate carefully how the end result will look.


I bought this new covergirl ageless foundation make-up to cover up my aging imperfections. I figured Ellen Degeneres wears it.She's looks pretty good and she is a "no fuss kind of gal" so I figured it must be pretty good stuff.

Don't buy it.

It's like putting tar on your face. It took three days of cold cream to get this shit off of my face and it just sits in the lines on your face. The worst part is when I thought if I could add a little oil of olay to it to thin it out, a few days later the make up dried up like a lump of clay and had to be thrown out. The blush was just as bad.

I still like Maybelline's age rewinder foundation the best as well as Bonny Bell's bronzer. The bronzer doesn't feel like make-up and it looks really natural. Maybelline still has the best eye make-up of all the eye make-up I've tried. And believe me I've tried all kinds of brands and it's crazy fad colors and I keep going back to Maybelline.

Estee Lauder and Mary Kay so far have the best lipstick. Avon is OK but Mary Kay's lipstick doesn't 'bleed".

Yes, it's not any different than buying paint at an art supply store. Some of the new products are just crap and some of the old and true products are still the best.

Life is like an open canvas.

2 comments:

  1. Your "art project" is my penance. I hardly ever get a chance to feel relaxed in a huge social gathering. For me, it is better to be with friends in a little microcosm inside the bigger group.

    ReplyDelete