Sunday, December 12, 2010

lady luck


Last night my husband and I were invited to a local dive club holiday party by the captain and his lovely wife of Easy Diver (scuba diving charter boat).

It's alway nice to see our dive buddies even when we are not donning our wet suits. It's fun to catch up on news, the latest "rants & raves" and the newest adventures that lie awaiting in the forecast.

I had bought some raffle tickets in hopes that I would win a new regulator. Fellow dive buddy Laurent also bought some tickets as well to test his luck in hopes of winning the shiny new regulator. As people started to depart the party, they handed us their raffle tickets because they just couldn't wait for the drawing. Between my husband, Laurent ,and myself we had a pile of raffle tickets for not just the regulator but other smaller dive related items. We were sure we would've won something from the number of chances we had.

However, we didn't score a single item.

The next morning, after our usual morning run on the beach it started to rain. As we were driving home after picking up the sunday paper in the neighboring town of Seabrook I was joking to my husband how funny it was that out of all those tickets we had sitting in front of us that not a single one was a winning ticket.

We must be unlucky.

As soon as I said that my husband started saying, "oh shit shit....... SHIIIT.....SHHHIIITTT!" with panic in his voice. The rain had turned to black ice and our car was spinning out of control. It was spinning two full 360 degree turns barrelling down the street. I had then realized that I forgot to put my seat belt on after I had ran to get the newspaper. We were headed straight for a telephone pole and could hear myself saying, "oh shit, brace for impact...".

I was envisioning my obituary notice saying something like, "here lies some dumb shit who forgot to put her seatbelt on..."

The car went up on an embankment and missed the pole by inches.

A car coming in the opposite direction minutes earlier wasn't so lucky.

He hit the pole across the street totalling his vehicle.

After we regained control of our car and took a couple of deep breaths, I told my husband ,"drive like a f*&^ing turtle..and pull over to see if the driver of that car is OK".

There was no driver in the car. He must of gotten out and went to one of the houses by the side of the road for help.

As we inched down the road a police car was flying up the road. I wanted to wave to him to slow down before he went around the bend but it was too late. He flew right by.

I am hoping the cop didn't get in trouble with the invisible trecherous ice up ahead.

When we finally made it home in one piece we both concurred that we were both really lucky on this one.

Lady luck was surely with us on this one.

3 comments:

  1. Whew! I'm sure glad you guys didn't get hurt. We saw lots of cars that had been involved in black ice accidents on the news this AM as I got ready to go to Boston to drop off The Captain and then on to Worcester for work. Luckily, the temperatures were high enough that there wasn't any of that bad stuff on the road today. Hugs from us both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The temperature difference between Seabrook and it's next door neighbor can be dramatically different. Last year's ice storm made a mess out of Seabrook. No ice on my driveway though. It's sneaky and treacherous. Literally 200 yards from my house the temp changes. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See that? The universe must have known that you would need your luck for something more important. So glad you are both OK, and that you came through that ordeal unscathed. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete