Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Early Christmas present


As I was walking Mattie (the naughty little Jack Russell terrier) a neighbor on her street pulled up to me in her car asking if I knew of anyone who would be interested in adopting a 3 year old male puggle (part pug /part beagle dog mix). I responded, "Not that I know of. Why do you ask?" It turns out the dog has seizures and the owner doesn't want to pay the $9.00 a month for medication to control the seizures. If the owner can not find someone they can unload the dog onto they will put the dog down. Needless to say I was horrified that a so-called pet owner could be that cheap and refuse to put up less than $10.00 for medicine for a family pet. As far as I knew the dog didn't have behavioral issues but just this medical problem that was easily controlled.

I then responded,"Oh for God's sake! Why don't they just take the dog to a shelter instead? There a plenty of people who would have pity on a dog with a handicap!" The woman responded that all the shelters in the area are completely full and can not take anymore animals in.

About a month or so ago I visited a close friend of mine up in Maine.

She loves cats. She greeted me at the door with a sheepish grin and told me she had just adopted a new kitty. She wanted to know if I would take a ride with her to the shelter where she obtained the latest cat to her clan so she could drop cookies off to the staff working at the shelter.

The shelter was a mad house. It was completely crammed with all kinds of animals. I saw a pair of conures (small parrots) next to the front desk and asked the staff about them. These poor birds needed medical attention and a new lifestyle change including a new diet. They had "scizzor beak' which is attributed to a long history of a poor diet which in turn affects the liver. They also were feather pickers. There are many reasons why they are feather pickers but I am guessing again, poor diet and because of other deficiencies. The staff was hoping I would take those birds but I did not.
I have ten birds already and I just was not prepared or interested at the time in taking anymore birds-especially ones with 'special needs" since I already have a 'special needs' bird already. IF I were to take in another bird I would have to plan properly. Whenever you take in a new addition you really do need to plan ahead and not just on a 'whim".

A month went by and I drove up to Maine to see my friend again. She had told me about a newly renovated 'bird rescue" and wanted to know if I wanted to go visit the facility, plus they had a store there to buy all kinds of bird supplies. I said, "sure!" She said to me,'why don't to bring a carrier...just in case..."

I responded, "I'll only take home a bird if it is an older male who is a pied cockatiel!" I figured by setting up those guidelines I would not be bringing home any birds since pieds are uncommon in New England.

Well, guess what? There was this beautiful 10 year old male pied cockatiel who had been at this rescue twice. I figured, "oh what the heck" so little "Patches Kennedy' came home with me. I immediately took him to the vet for a "wellness check" and he checked out A-OK, so far.

He's a vocal comical little fellow. I can't save all the birds but I saved this one.

"Patches" is my this year's Christmas present! :-)

3 comments:

  1. I assume he's sitting on YOUR shoulder, V. And that Soracha took the picture. He seems very interested in the lens of the camera, doesn't he?
    Good tips on pet adoption planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patches IS sitting on my shoulder. He has already shown a preference for me. I am trying to make sure he is introduced to a healthy diet since he mostly ate toast. He's a funny little guy. Eddie has shown an interest in him as well (although she pretends she hates him kind of like a high school girl acts when she thinks a guys likes her)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I thought for a second you were going to say you adopted the puggle.

    ReplyDelete