Saturday, December 4, 2010

babes in toyland


Every year our town runs an annual toy drive for kids in need for Christmas.

My family was not rich by any means but I was never without toys for Christmas.

I can not imagine getting stiffed by 'santa" so I make sure I donate toys and games for the toy drive.

I have fun picking out toys that I think some little kid would like. I actually pick out toys that if I were still a little kid that I would like. I like the old classics such as: cute stuffed animals, barbies, game classics such as candyland, monopoly and cooties plus colorful puzzles, and things like that.

As I sit and type this, I reminisce about some of my all time favorite toys that I just loved as a kid.

I've had a lot of favorites, and I am sure after I finish this post I will say, "oh yeah, what about..."

Of course, my favorite (and still my all time favorite) is the troll (wishnik) doll.

I still have my first troll (wishnik) doll proudly displayed on "the special troll shelf."

His name is Peter. (circa 1966)

I also loved stuffed animals (and still do). I had this one stuffed siamese cat that I had for years. It finally had to be "donated" to the dumpster because of it's scrofulous condition. Woody woodpecker was an all time fav too. Woody had been replaced by a newer and cleaner version in the later years.

I had a talking car which you could take apart. That was pretty cool.

One of the best gifts I got, which only lasted a day, was this James Bond gun set. My mother didn't want me to have it but my father snuck out and bought it for me. It had a cigarette lighter that shot (fake) bullets, a watch and other secret agent shooting devices. Needless to say after a fun day of shooting everyone in sight from my brother to the pet cat that secret agent gun set 'mysteriously" disappeared.

My Aunt surprised me one year with a "bewitched' barbie doll. I thought this was the most beautiful barbie type doll ever. This doll also had the biggest boobs of any other barbie doll. She was sort of the Pam Anderson of dolls.

I also liked science toys like dissecting kits and microscopes. I was forever playing "mad scientist".

Comic books were always a hit too. Archie, super heroes, Richie Rich and scary ones too. (I hated mickey mouse and uncle scrooge. Those ones sucked and were really boring.)

I also like artsy toys that you could make things out of like 'creepies crawlers". You poured this booger-like substance of various colors into a mold, baked it in their special heater and, viola! You made a big huge colorful insect! You then could add pins to them making them into "jewelry. I could never understand why my mother did not wear my special hand-made humungous rubbery spider pin on her sunday dress. I always thought she liked the color flourescent pink!

And of course, everyone including myself, loved getting a stingray bike with it's fancy banana seat.

Yup, those were good times!

3 comments:

  1. They were the good times. I remember one year, probably right around 1974 or so, I got a Speidel Ident bracelet that I wanted, and a 10K gold plated pinkie ring with my initial on it, that I didn't know I wanted until I saw it. That was back when Christmas was fun... I really looked forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember getting a Evel Knievel set which included a rv and a motorcycles that you could jump the rv with. I also remembered that I wanted a real NFL leather footbal which was about $50.00 or so: I recieved a plastic football. Funny now. Still great memories It is hard to imagine getting no toys underneath a Christmas when your a child. Pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that is why I donate toys to the toy drive.
    I had good memories in toyland as a kid. :-)
    I also enjoy Christmas as an adult. I like going to fund-raisers and social events in which I can pick and choose.
    Things are different now and somewhat better in many aspects. At least now, as an adult, I don't have to put up with drunks, dirty ol'lechers at parties or getting gunned down with ice balls from neighborhood bullies.
    I don't have to wear cold itchy stupid dresses anymore if I don't feel like it either.

    ReplyDelete