Thursday, November 18, 2010

tis the season!


Well it's that time of the year that I have to organize, plan and finish shopping.

Some of you may be thinking, "huh?!?! What do you mean finish shopping!?!? I haven't even started yet!"

I was always one of those kids in school whenever I was assigned a project I started it right away. If I knew a project was going to be assigned I would already start to plan my stategy. I am not one of those "last minute Charlies." I do not do well under pressure nor am I a procrastinator.

As far as shopping goes, I buy gifts all year long. If I see something cool and unique that "so and so" would like, I pick it up and save it for that special occasion. I give a good deal of thought into what I will buy for that individual. Like I said, I do not wait til the last minute and I do not buy just something for them because I have to.

Nothing screams "I -bought-this for-you-because-I-had-to" like a crappy made-in-China arcylic walmart sweater.

Seriously.

What is even worse is when you know someone's "re-gifted" something and it is something shitty that they just wanted to get rid of it.

That's bad.

You don't have to break the bank either to buy something nice. Sales and coupons work. Hand-made or home-cooked things are nice too.

I also have to buy little things for my loyal customers as well. I usually make them something to honor their pets. One year, I made little wooden jewelry boxes. I painted their pet's picture on the lid. I started with this project in the spring so I could take my time with it. This year, I am making individual bracelets with their pet's picture attached to a tiny locket.

I also have to make up gift baskets for various local charities since I am considered a "business owner". I buy little items all year long that are on sale to make up these baskets. It gets costly so I have to plot, plan and know how to shop effectively.

I actually like to buy things online too. I think it is because I love getting stuff in the mail, even if it is not for me.

Here are some of the stores I buy online from:

http://www.landsend.com/ They sell no nonsense well-made ladies clothing. Nothing fancy but practical. They always have internet sales along with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/ They don't just sell books. If you buy over $25.00 worth of stuff you get free shipping

http://www.bn.com/ They sell books and CDs. They always have online coupons. They also have free shipping over $25.00 worth of stuff

http://www.ebay.com/ They sell everything from used to new to unique. They also provide links to various stores.

http://www.cafepress.com/ They are for the most part local vendors selling their wares. OMG you can find the funniest t-shirts on the planet on this site. They also offer online coupons and deals at certain times.

http://www.etsy.com/ This is a new online site I just found. This site sells "one of the kind" wares from artists. Really cool stuff. I bought myself two gifts on this site.

http://www.zazzle.com/ Another cool site for unique items. My husband bought me a pair of ked sneakers with cockatiels printed all over them. OMG they are sooooo cute!

http://www.retailmenot.com/ This site links you with various stores that show what is on sale and shows you links to coupons offered.


My cousin and I have made it an annual time to attend "the church of fairs" event in Amesbury. Don't you remember going to your church's Christmas fair? I always loved going to them and I still do. I like seeing (and buying) home-made items. My cousin bought this beautiful huge afghan blanket made by lady who is 102 years old. It is truly a peice of art. You are supporting the church by buying items like this as well as appreciating the handiwork. (It's certainly not some peice of shit made in China!) At these fairs, there is always a bake sale of home-made yummy treats and jams. Of course, I have to buy something! Ha! There is something comforting about attending these old time church fairs as a part of the Christmas ritual.

It's kind of like visiting a Grandma. :-)
Enjoy the season!

2 comments:

  1. I'm like you, V... I start shopping early, and hide stuff all year. The problem is, I often forget what I've already purchased, and who I have purchased it for...then there's the little matter of where I hid it. I'm forever looking, finding, and saying "Oh yea, that's what I got her"... I need to start keeping a list of purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my "treasures" in one huge box so I don't forget where i hide everything..
    My only problem with year round shopping for friends and family is that I tend to 'reward" myself for "being so thoughtful". Ha ha!
    "Oh this beautiful coach bag is on sale for my Mum. Well, this coach wallet is on sale too.I can't pass up a deal and I really need a new wallet!" ha

    ReplyDelete