Monday, November 22, 2010

curve ball


Sometimes life throws you a curve ball and you have to step up to the plate.

You just hope you don't get hit in the head by the ball.


This morning I was lining up and confirming my Thanksgiving holiday customers.

One of my customers is an elderly lady with two kitties. She had called a few weeks ago to book a Thanksgiving weekend pet sitting appointment. When I called my senior customer's phone number, the operator recording came on and said,"I'm sorry this number is no longer in service".

I called again to make sure I dialed the right number and the same recording came on.

I searched the numbers on my cell phone around the time she called to make an appointment but I couldn't find her number or a number that was unfamilar that could possibly a 'new' number, if she had changed her phone number for some reason.

Needless to say, I got a little nervous wondering if something happened to her.

My first thought was to go over to her apartment right now to check on her.

I opt to call the person in charge of her elderly housing complex instead.

I told her who I was and that I was concerned since the phone number I had for "Mrs. C"was out of order.

The superintendent of the complex said that number I had given her of this tenant was the same number she had. I asked her if she could check on her and call me right back.

Thankfully, this turned out to be a happy ending.

"Mrs. C" called me back within 20 minutes, apologetic, explaining that she had changed her number because she was being hounded by unwanted phone solicitors.

I told her I was glad she was OK and that I was a bit worried when I found her number out of order. She had given me her daughter's phone number this time as well for an emergency contact.

This story might not have had a happy ending.

I have heard from one pet sitter a few years ago that had this one job to take care of a dog when the owner was out of town. When she arrived at the house she saw smoke coming out of a window.
She called 911.
She managed to rescue the dog but the apartment was engulfed in flames by time the fire engines arrived.

Two years ago, I had this client with three beautiful high-end breeder dogs. They were regular customers. One morning, I found one of the dogs dead in the living room.

It was awful.

I was in full blown panic mode. I tried as calmly as I could call the owner to inform her of what I found. (I was a mess) I rushed the dog (with the help of my husband) to the vet. The dog had just died of a sudden heart attack. It was a freak thing.

I no longer have this client as customers anymore and it is not because the lady "fired me". I continued to care for her two dogs for another year or so until they had puppies. I was too nervous around these dogs and the dogs could sense it so I had to quit.

Nothing can prepare you for some of the things that are thrown at you.

You just have to stop, breath, think calmly and hope for the best.

1 comment:

  1. Yike, V. That must have been horrible. I'm so glad that woman was ok. As I was reading, I kept thinking you were going to find out she had passed away or something.

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving! xoxo

    ReplyDelete