Thursday, November 4, 2010

cookware hunt


My husband likes to watch those cooking shows and exclaims, 'oh that looks good. We should try that!" He also likes to watch those home improvement shows as well. All those shows makes things look simple to do but you need the right tools for both jobs.
In regard to cooking, I look at my scrottily looking pots, pans and dishware that I've had since my 'single days". I've kept these pans because they are made of stainless steel. It seems everything out there is made of non-stick and/ or made in China. Anything made in China I do not trust. For God's sake, they still made toys with lead in it.
When you have pets, especially birds, you have to be careful of any emissions that cookware can give off. The cheap and popular non-stick cookware give off an odorless toxic fumes from PTFE and PTOA coatings so when heated at a certain temp can kill all your birds. If it can kill birds it can't be good for you either.
When I had to buy a gas oven for my house I had to "special order" an oven that did NOT have a self cleaner. A self cleaning oven has a special coating made to be heated a high temp to melt off the crud in your oven. It was hard to find an oven without the nonstick coating plus it cost more but luckily, I found one..
Alot of the heart healthy meals I cook require a dutch oven. A dutch oven is basically a pot with rounded interior. Most dutch ovens are cast iron for it's slow cook properties. Cast iron weighs a ton. The other option was the light-weight nonstick version. I spent alot of time searching for the perfect pot. I found a stainless steel dutch oven made in Italy. It is perfect for making various rice dishes.
Yesterday I bought a new skillet. Finally, there is a type called 'green ceramica" that environmentally safe without the toxic coatings. Again, this pan was made in Italy.
It seems like most of my purchases surround what is safe for my birds.
I don't have an waffle iron because all the waffle-makers have that non-stick crap on it. High end coffee makers also have that nonstick crap on it's burner. George Forman grills have the same thing.This includes irons and their ironing board covers!
This shit is everywhere!
Products such as air fresheners such as febreze and glade candles are highly toxic to birds. If your house stinks, just open the windows to air it out!
I hate those artifical smells too.
They make me sick. I've heard of tragic stories on my cockatiel chat line about people using fabric softeners sheets and nonstick cookie sheet (parchment) paper about what happens when these products heat up and release fumes.
Holiday candles are an issue as well. Many have lead wicks (plus fragrants) that are bad news. Thankfully for people who like candles, you can buy soy candles with simple cotton wicks that do not release toxic fumes. When the house was carpeted I had the carpet guys unroll the carpet to let any fumes dissipate outside for a few hours before they installed it. Scotchguard is a hazard.
It should be of no surprise I am very cautious about cleaning products. I spend alot of time reading labels. I buy "green' products. One product in particular which is a bit pricey is "dragonfly organics".
Cheap jewelry is another concern. Anything with lead and zinc is toxic to birds.
I guess this is a good excuse as any to wear just 14K gold!

2 comments:

  1. I stick with stainless steel (and cast iron). I buy them at places like TJ Max (and/or Homegoods) because you can get a good, brand name, stainless pot, or pan for a decent price. I go to places like William Sonoma just to get ideas, then buy at TJ's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is where I got my stainless steel Italian cookware (Marshalls)!

    ReplyDelete