Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving




I think Thanksgiving is a decent holiday.


It is definitely one of those family get together holidays.


The best part is that I do not have to cook or clean up.


I have to admire those who take over the cooking, shopping, preparation and cleaning chores of the day.


My mother actually likes doing it. Matter-of-fact she insists of doing it. I can't even bring anything over unless it is something I didn't cook like coffee, wine or a fruit basket.


She is the domestic reina of the day.


She is in charge.


She is the boss of the day.


When I suggested one year that we all just go out for dinner instead figuring it would be easier for her I thought her laser stare of ' that-would-be-a-sin-not-to-cook-dinner" would almost fry me on the spot.


I already know she is making preparations for the day, and it's two days away.


I don't, however, eat turkey.


I stopped eating turkey years ago.


Just before Thanksgiving, I was in a shopping mall many years ago. There was this grand turkey on display in an enclosure. I saw kids poking fingers at him, laughing and teasing him mocking that they were going to be eating him soon. I walked over and saw this large beautiful bird being disrespected and I was disgusted. At least when native Americans eat what they have hunted they show a sign of respect by saying a prayer of thanks to the creature.


I felt sick to my stomach seeing those little shits tease that bird.


I never ate turkey again.


I've seen turkey "farms" depicted on TV awaiting 'the big day'. All these white turkeys mass produced are crammed into a industrial enclosure awaiting their fate. The grocery stores advertise 59 cents a pound for these mass bred turkeys.


If I had to buy a turkey for Thanksgiving, I would buy one from a local farm where at least, the turkeys are walking around outside enjoying the sunshine. They advertise $2.89 a pound but at least these turkeys aren't those sad white ones squished in a cement enclosure for their entire sad lives.


Thanksfully, my Mother doesn't push turkey on me. She makes me a pile of veggies and her famous apple pie. (Yes, I will have one slice!)


While everyone lays around afterwards like snakes that swallowed a giant rat they will be watching the football game. I will sneak into the bedroom to watch the Westminister dog show instead.


Yes, I am looking forward to Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Good for you. Stick to your guns, kid!...and if all you're eating for Thankgiving is veggies...have two slices. Pretend they're small.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Foxy!
    I hope you have a nice thanksgiving too ;-P

    ReplyDelete