Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hurricane Gloria Sept 27 1985


The weathermen on the news right now are running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Three hurricanes are brewing east off the Carribean right now with hurricane Earl beating up the US Virgin Islands heading towards the Bahamas. Depending on what news channel you watch tells you weather or not it will hit us up on the Massachusetts coast.

Either way, the weather is unpredictable and you never know what the intensity it will bring especially by the coast-line.

Always keep one eye open, just in case.

It is horrendously hot and humid which means something is brewing. I've watched the birds gather in flocks as if they have signalled to each other to stick together for safety.

The last major hurricane I remember we had was hurricane Gloria in 1985.

I lived in the wooded town of Stow on a small lake. It was relatively protected from bad weather being tucked into the woods and living in a tiny one room cottage.

Either way, the winds were amazing. Trees were falling down and branches were flying all over the place.

What I particularly remember about this event was the hurricane party with my neighbors.

As you might have guessed we had lost our electricity so as a form of entertainment the neighbors had a party.

This was the first time, at the tender age of 26, I had indulged in adult beverages.

Seagrams wine coolers was my choice of poison for the evening. So very 80's.

Hamburgers were cooked on the outdoor grill. Candles were lit and card games were being played in basement porches.

After indulging in four of the sweet, but deadly 'doch-an-dorrachs' I decided to check out the hurricane's progress. It was like a scene from the Wizard of Oz with branches and barrels flying around. It was pitch black except for candle light. I promptly fell over the waist high fence landing upside down.

I seriously do not remember much after that just that I woke up the next day in a pile of leaves and covered with puke.

Ahhhh.. the stupidity of youth.

We had no water due to the electricitical pumps being out so I had to bath in the lake like a dirty hippy.

Trees were down, with no electricity but nothing was damaged.

People on the coast , however, were not so lucky.

Small ocean front cottages in the seacoast town of Rye were literally pushed across the street.

Huge boulders littered the streets.

So with this in mind, I am cautious about the weekend's forecast.

Hopefully, it will bypass us.

1 comment: