Friday, September 3, 2010

Movie critic Part 2


I could list all the crappy movies that had I sat through (or at least partially suffered through) but at this post I will list some of my personal favorites.

It's all the matter of interpretation and taste. I remember many years ago when my sister and I were negotiating on what movie(s) to see. She wanted to see "Slingblade" and I wanted to see "Flipper". I had to seriously bribe her into seeing "Flipper" by not only paying her ticket admission but buying her popcorn AND having to sit through the movie she wanted to see: "Slingblade". Aaaaah hhhhuuuun...

I also have to bribe and negotiate my husband in this movie trade off as well. He likes (lame in my opinion) kungfu action flicks and I like cute animal movies. I had to sit through that horrendously long movie "Lord of the Rings" in exchange to see "Happy Feet".

It was torture. I never thought that frickin' movie would end.

I was worried I would have to endure "the Last Airbender" but he went to see it with his family.

Here's a list of my favorite movies. As I said before, you might think they are lame but it is all a matter of personal taste.

Here goes:

"The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill", "Polly", "Because of Winn Dixie", "Hoot" ,"Happy Feet" "March of the Penguins" , "Free Willie", "Marley" , "Hotel for Dogs", "Milo and Otis"(OMG this movie is sooooo cute!) "Winged Migration"

"Deuce Bigelow" (hilarious!)"Revenge of the Nerds", "Spaceballs" ,"Zoolander", "Sunshine Cleaners" "Titanic"(beautiful costumes!) "Wild Hogs" "Monty Pythons Meaning of Life" (classic!)

"There Something about Mary" (gross but funny) "Mad Max"(when Mel Gibson was hot)

"Speed" (when Keano Reeves was hot) "Point Break" (hunk movie) "Rambo" (when Sly Stallone was hot) "AI" (weird sci fi) "the Island" "Tomb Raider (gotta love Angelina Jolie!)"Planet of the Apes" (old version and new version) "Ace Ventura-Pet Detective" (gotta love Jim Carey!) "Dumb and Dumber" (again Jim Carey) "Castaway","Day of the Dolphin"

Old movies: "Ben Hurr", "What ever happened to Baby Jane?"

I'm sure I will think of a million more movies but this will suffice for now.

As I look at the list, it looks like I go for cute animal movies, Sci fi and childish comedies.

Feel free to add your comments!

6 comments:

  1. Good list, V. I'd be happy to see any of them with you. Did you not like Saving Nemo? I did.
    How about The Abyss? That is a neat diving-related epic. No gore. No gross-outs. No nudity.

    I also liked Dr. Zhivago and 2001, A Space Odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Yeah! I liked those ones too!
    I also liked "Jurrassic Park". "Shallow Hal" "Shark tales""Funny girl"
    How could I forget? "Austin Powers!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about The Godfather I and II, Marlan Brando is rolling over in his grave. Albeit slowly because he was so fat when he died. Then again I think he was cremated so it was just a very big pile of ashes. And then there was Jaws, people were so scared of the shark even though you didn’t see it untill half way through the movie. And then there was The Deep, aside from Jacqueline Bisset the movie had some good underwater cinematography by Al Giddings and Stan Waterman. Robert Shaw was drunk as a skunk near the end in the fight scene; I read that in a interview with Al Giddings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, I never saw any of the "Godfather" movies!
    I didn't really care for the movie "the Deep". I thought it was kind of raunchy with Jacqueline Bisset's wet t-shirt scene. I saw that movie when I was quite young and I reeeeeeally embarrassed! ):-P
    Other funny movies that come to mind as I remember were "King Pin" (the flossing scene) and "Idiocrasy"(a sad but true comedy) and of course, "Space Cowboys"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite movie of all time, hands down...is "Hook". Peter Pan has always fascinated me, and this adaption of it was right up there. I also loved the latest "Peter Pan" movie. Then of course there's "Big" and "The Goonies". Anything with pirates and treasure for sure.... The Abyss was a great movie... so was "20,000 Leagues Beneath the Sea". I'm a total sucker for foreign romantic comedies too... "Amelie", "Bread and Tulips", "Shirley Valentine","Italian for Beginners"... Now I need to go watch those again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember "Goonies"! That was a pretty funny fun movie!.
    As far as romantic comedys go, how about "The Match Maker"? That was really funny and cute!
    Sorry but I didn't "get" the movie "Amelie". It was just too weird for me.

    ReplyDelete