Wednesday, September 15, 2010

seasons change and so do I......


I was scheduled to be on the boat this past sunday.

The weather completely did a turn around.

I have been completely wiped out all summer due to "the hottest summer since 1883" so I had welcomed the cooler temps. I brought my wetsuit instead of dry suit figuring "I'd just do one dive" since the air temp was "a bit breezy".

OMG! It was freezing out on the boat!

The wind was blasting from the east. The water was choppy, rolling AND surgy.

Thankfully we had a nice easy group of people onboard.

I was wearing a heavy sweatshirt and my trusty windbreaker.

The wind was really blowing. As I sat and chatted with Chris, the water was looking less and less appealing. Bill L was first to jump in donning his dry suit. I was now wishing I had brought my dry suit. However, Bill said the viz was about 15 feet MAX and a bit surgy.

Now I was glad I didn't get wet.
If Pete alerted me that dog fish were abound then I would've forgot about the icy wind and just jumped in. One of the divers spotted a lone lost butterfly fish in the shallows by the restaurant at Folly cove. This spot was less bumpy tucked into the cove fairly protected from the chop.

Chris and I watched for the diver's bubbles as well as bird watched.

We saw some common terns, cattle egrets (they look like snowy egrets from the distance but snowy egrets have yellow feet), one great blue heron, some laughing gulls ( I was hoping from scanning my bird book that they might have been Bonaparte's gulls), many cormorants in the mud flats and one elusive water fowl.

It was all black with a white patch on it's back. I am guessing it might be a black guillemot still in it's summer phase. I didn't have binoculors to check out it's beak or head for a proper identification

Despite not being able to log a dive sunday I still enjoyed the never ending banter and stories from my friends.

I felt grateful to be in the company of all my diver buddies.

1 comment:

  1. We are grateful to have you with us, V. Especially for, but not limited to, the yummy, legal snacks you bring along. Have good fun in Bonaire. The water will certainly be warmer there :^)

    ReplyDelete