Thursday, September 9, 2010

The wild pigeons of Salisbury Beach part 17


We were lucky last weekend that the hurricane fizzled by the time it reached the north shore.

Regardless, it made for pretty rough seas. There was no scuba diving scheduled for saturday and sunday because of the unpredictable seas.

The ocean waves were huge and the under tow was fierce. Despite the heat I didn't trust going in for a swim. Countless bathing suits were removed almost surgically as waves pummelled unwilling swimmers.

My brother and his kids came up for the weekend. By the end of the day, the kids had bruises on their faces, cuts on their arms and legs, and the youngest one got a bloody nose from being bounced around by the surf.

They didn't seem to care.

They viewed it as battle scars against "the power of nature". They said the waves "were awesome!"

My father, however, walked in the house wearing only a towel.

I didn't dare ask.

Days before the impending hurricane I could see the pigeons were getting a little edgie. They couid sense something was brewing. They came down for their usual morning meal but were cautious. I haven't seen "Brownie" for most of the summer. I did spot a brownish pigeon on the roof tops but this pigeon was more white than brown. I surmised that this pigeon could be one of "Brownies' offspring.

I was wrong.

As the pigeons feasted on ACE hardware seed (they hate KMart seed). I noticed this "new" pigeon never came down to eat. This new pigeon I named "Chocolate Milk" since he or she was more of milky color.

I got up late this morning. A marathon migraine attack was surfacing. I woke up reluctantly to at least do a walk instead of a run. As usual, I fed the pigeons. "Chocolate Milk" came down abet cautiously to investigate.

"Chocolate Milk" had a yellow leg band.

This bird was a lost racing pigeon!

I am assuming this racing pigeon was probably not handled much since he/she was very cautious. The other racing pigeon that I had tried to save last summer was very friendly.

It will be interesting to see how this bird does since he/she has incorporated himself into a wild flock.

2 comments:

  1. He/she probably got tired of always returning to the same coop. Maybe it is playing hookie.

    About the picture at the top of your blog, what is it I'm seeing. I think I can make out a pigeon in the lower right. What else is there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it is a black & white photo it is hard to see what is going on.It's a bunch of pigeons gathered around while the one in the middle with his wings spread is "busting a move"!

    ReplyDelete