Wednesday, March 2, 2016

life with birds

*Jim Carrey with a dove on his head.
 I look like this all the time in my home.
I ran out to Demoulas to pick up a few groceries. I reached for my purse and realized there was bird shit all over it as it swung back and forth smearing the mess all over my coat and pants.
Ah..life with birds!
When I arrived home both the pigeons were perched on the chair next to the door staring at me as if to say,"it's about time you got home!" They left a circle of turds by the door as they paced back and forth awaiting for my arrival.
Eddie Scizzorpoop, my little favorite girl.( I'm sorry but she is my favorite cockatiel). She was born April 13 2005. She is an offspring of Linus and Lucille.
Last weekend she appeared to be in distress. She was all hunched over straining to lay an egg. She has laid eggs before but without any problems. Sometimes she would be just walking around and one would just plop out. One time she was sitting on my lap and dropped one.
However this time, she was in obvious pain. I placed her in warm water and washed her 'bum" hoping this would help her drop it.
 Later that afternoon two soft rubbery eggs came out. She was still in distress. Soft eggs are not a good thing.She was vomiting and pooping out seeds. I was worried she would not make the night. All the birds were sitting on her cage which made me especially nervous about her condition
Thankfully, she made it and I called the vet that morning.
The vet did a bunch of tests. Her ovaries were inflamed and her white blood cell count was elevated. She also had some yeast in her poop.She is now on liquid calcium, metacam for the inflamation and baytril for a possible infection (she could have left over yolk inside of her)and  I added a few drops of apple cider vinegar to her water for the possible yeast in her digestive system.
I isolated her in her own cage and changed her diet.I removed the seeds so she is eating avicakes, zupreme pellets, greens and cooked kamut. She loves the kamut!
She is doing 100% better. She isn't too happy about me giving her meds twice a day but I think she will be OK.
Last week I took Button to the vet. She couldn't fly and her breath smelled like corn chips. And no, I don't have corn chips in my house so this is odd. When birds smell like this it means they have a yeast infection.The vet ran a test but everything came up negative. As a precaution I added apple cider vinegar to her water. I no longer smell the corn chip smell.
Craow Dum- the pigeon has had an extremely snotty nose. More than usual.She looked like she had a chandelier hanging from her nose. It was gross.I had washed her face and,nose and mouth. I figured it has to be from all the dry air from the heating system.  I pulled out the humidifier and placed it next to the pigeon hutch.She is always snotty so I have to routinely be on booger patrol.
AaaaaaaH!!!!!!!
It's never a dull moment with these birds!

2 comments:

  1. What a menagerie you have, V. They must realize what a good life they have thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you have a picture of Joe and his new haircut on your blog?

      Delete