Wednesday, March 16, 2016

life with birds too.... more

It never ceases to amaze me whenever I go to meetings or social gatherings with people I've never met before to some of things they say whenever I introduce myself  and tell people what I do for living, "I'm a petsitter. I specialize in boarding pet birds". I get "treated" with some of the most obnoxious "conversions".Maybe they just don't know what to say other than their only (negative) experiences with birds. I cringe to think at how clueless some people are and don't even realize it.
One woman at a business social got very animated when I told her I specialize in caring for birds. She told me how "her cat catches them and she makes crafts with their feathers".
I shit you not.
I was completely gobsmacked.
Another told me how "her cat kept killing her neighbour's homing pigeons..oh but (she) felt bad"
Really?
Another agreed at how "smart" pigeons were because "they tried everything to get rid of them from installing spikes, to sticky glue..."
I just glared at her.
I hear this shit at business socials! Argh!
 I do all I can do not to scream, "are you a f*cking retard!?!?"What is wrong with you!?! You wouldn't treat a dog like that!"
But for some reason people can not comprehend that birds are thinking, feeling, pets. 
This morning something spooked my birds as I was doing their morning routine (cleaning their cages and feeding them) . Most likely there was a hawk flying around by the window. The birds were flying all around in a panic. Charlie and Patches was screaming.
And then I couldn't find Patches. I tried listening for him and calling for him but I couldn't find him. I heard a faint sound like he was upstairs but when I called for him he didn't respond.
I took his best pal Charlie upstairs so he could call for him. He did and Patches called back. Patches was stuck behind a bureau, scared and couldn't get out.
Charlie sat on my head calling for Patches while I got him out. They were both quite relieved to see each other.
After dinner I sat with Sal my elderly adopted tiel. His previous owner must have taken good care of him because he is quite healthy for a 20 year old cockatiel.. He was quiet and shy when we first got him. It was an adjustment for Sal. It took him awhile to get used to my home but I was very patient with him. I let him adjust on his terms. For an elderly bird he has become quite animated and really relishes one on one attention. He loves when I whistle and when I kiss his beak. Lately he has learned to come out of his cage and follow me around.
I do not know what else to say except they are a joy to be around.
I "get" them and they "get' me!
 

1 comment: