Tuesday, March 29, 2016

adult coloring book craze

When you go into craft shop now the front aisles are filled with "adult coloring books".
When I say, "adult coloring books" I don't mean like the "adult" doodle pads (see above) that we used to buy at "Spencer's gifts" in the 1980's.
(Ah yes, those famous "doodle pads". As you might guess these were the "it" joke gift to give our female pals in the early 1980's. And of course,  we immediately pulled out or pens to "fill in the blank' with our sordid imaginations. We would laugh hysterically at our sophomoric creations.)
The adult coloring books you see in the craft store are line drawings of an elaborate nature similar to zentangle designs that you color between the lines. It is suppose to be used as a 'stress reliever". Perhaps it would help somebody who is a smoker who wants to give up the habit but needs something to do with his/her hands. I find myself drawing and doodling whenever I and talking on the phone.
When I mentioned to my mother of what she thought of this "adult coloring books" fad and she, in her usual politically incorrect Boston fashion said, 'that's retahded..you gotta be retahded to be coloring as an adult.."
ummm..ok..
I personally find this coloring book thing intriguing. It is something I would do while sitting on an airplane to pass the time. I don't have an iphone or ipad or any of those gadgets to entertain myself.
 I prefer to draw. I've found myself drawing buck teeth, pointed ears and antennas on some of the movie stars in the "National Enquirer" after I finished reading it.
Maybe I should pick up one of those coloring books and a pack of colored pencils to bring with me on my next trip.
It will keep me out of trouble.
I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment