Tuesday, January 13, 2015

the Wild Pigeons of Salisbury beach part 109

It's been cold.
Really cold.
Living by the sea you have to really pay attention to the weather and especially to the winds.
The other day my thermometer read -6F.
Regardless, in my sleepy state, not really thinking of what I was doing  I automatically headed down to the beach for my morning run. When I opened the car door with my pigeon food to feed the beach pigeons a gust of wind ripping from the NWW and hit me like a thousand paper cuts across my face.
ARGHHHH!!!!
 The wind chill had to be -20.
I didn't run that morning.
The next day, I went back down the beach for my usual run.
 It was Frikk'ing cold even though I was wearing three layers of clothing. It wasn't as bad as the day before which was liquid nitrogen cold..
The cold, however, took its casualities.
Since last year many of the lofts where pigeons perched were removed. The south facing roofs had been covered with netting and spikes so the pigeons couldn't roost there either.
I found at least 5 pigeons frozen to death on the ground near the south facing wall.
It was horrible.
My little pigeon was warm and happy sitting on my slippers on the dryer. She would get quite perturbed if I disturbed her. The only time she would leave her "slipper' bed when she heard her food bowl rattle and ..at "Judge Judy" time.
She's a smart bird.


























2 comments:

  1. Yeah. That was a super cold morning for us to have to arise at 4:30 AM and make the trek out to UMass Medical School in Worcester. I just kept hoping the car wouldn't stall out. It didn't. We survived. Sorry to hear about the loss of so many pigeons at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed that the car starts at all in this weather. Even the garage door (it runs on electricity) moans and groans

      Delete