Thursday, January 15, 2015

mis "ojos grandes"

Here is my rendition of a 'Big Eyes". As I mentioned before, painting this was similar as to painting an icon painting.
Both are very stylized with an almost cartoon-like emphasis with the eyes.
This, however, was the first time I ever painted a child.
 My husband was my "muse".
And he was happy with the painting.
I did incorporate a mix of mediums. I used silk fabric on the clothes, a gold leaf emblem by the collar and some real pigeon feathers on the Big Eyed pigeons.
I'm sure if I entered this in one of the local art shows I would be turned away.
Who cares.
I like it.

Maybe I'll tackle another "Americana kitsch" painting like the famous "dogs playing poker" done by CW Coolidge in 1903 used to advertise cigars.
Instead of dogs I would have birds.

2 comments:

  1. ...but no tears at all on any of the faces - bird or human. Good for you. The child looks vaguely Mexican with a pouting lower lip. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes margaret keane did do a lot of paintings with tears involved. No tears here-just happy pics!

      Delete