Saturday, January 10, 2015

art is art

Happy New Year!
Anyways, I just saw the movie, "Big Eyes". It is story of the artist, Margaret Keane, who's obnoxious husband claimed credit for her oddly popular big eyed children paintings that were so popular in the 1960s.
 I looked her up on the internet and she is alive and well, although as you might guess,  quite elderly. She still paints and has a studio in San Francisco. Her art work has evolved from the 60s to a more vivid, sharper and more stylized version. Her focus is still on kids and cute animals. She has done portraits for various celebrities including (the late) actress Joan Crawford and protraits for Tim Burton (who incidentally produced the movie ,"Big Eyes").
I remember my Aunt Carol had a few of the Keane prints hanging down in her playroom. I thought they were funny but mesmerizing. My mother thought they were "gross" and "tacky".
 Regardless, whether you like them or not they are art -and you remember them. It is kind of like those "dogs playing poker" paintings. You may think they are gross and tacky or maybe you secretly have one of those prints hanging on your wall, either way  you remember them.
Art is art.
I decided to do my own 'big eye' painting. As I was studying the format I realized they were not any different than icon paintings. Both are a formulation of repetitive layer brush strokes, the eyes are exaggerated as the focal point and the subject is highly stylized.
Alot of people dismiss my 'art' as being weird, amaturish and cartoonish.
(And your point being?!?!?)
I don't care.
I'll never make money off of my work, and I'll never be famous. Most art shows won't exhibit my work  but I really don't give a crap.
I enjoy my paintings and they make me happy.
One funny story I thought I would share. The other day I was checking out a thrift shop looking for inexpensive frames for my art work.I came across a bunch of framed art one of them being a pastel of a yellow lab dog. As I am looking at it I am thinking this isn't a bad drawing, at least it is a hand made original. I was guessing the previous owner of the painting had a yellow lab and had commissioned some artist  to have her dog painted and then the dog had recently passed away.
And then I saw the signature.
I had done that painting....!!!!
I went through my files and I had done the painting for a lady in Byfield in 2008.
I do hope somebody buys that painting from the thrift shop who has a yellow lab dog (or not). It would be nice to know somebody might appreciate it.
As of right now,  I am working on  my 'big eye" painting. Once I am finished with it I will post it.
Stay tuned....

1 comment: