Friday, January 16, 2015

Jasmine & Princess



This week I have Jasmine & Princess staying with me. They are from separate clients.
Jasmine is a green cheek conure and Princess is cockatiel. Both are grouchy little ol' ladies. They are both "ladies of a certain age".
Jasmine is a bit of a biter. I've gotten used to Jasmine's idiosyncrasies and jasmine has gotten used to me, and the daily routine here.  Her beak is overgrown due to her age (I think she is 25 years old) and maybe because of some liver issues. She sees the vet regularly for check ups and beak trims. If her beak overgrows too much it will inhibit her ability to groom herself and to eat so the vet needs to trim it with a filing drill every 6 weeks.
I let "Jazzy" out of her cage a few times a day for exercise. Since she is an older bird she runs around on the table with supervision. She looks more like a soldier doing a ground crawl rather than a bird that runs..
She is happy being out and now since we both feel more comfortable around each other she is allowed a lot more outside the cage. She also gets hand fed with yummy fruit too which helps with trust issues. On occasion she will "test me" with her over grown beak. Yup, that means she will bite, but it is not a vicious/fear/mad bite. It is more like "ha ha' I bit you! Phuuuuh!" I ignore it and gently put her back in her cage when it is time to go back in.
Princess will do the same. She has tantrums once in a while but as usual when it is her turn to go back in her cage  I have to speak gently to her and to ignore the tantrum bites.
Princess likes her visits here. When she sees her travel cage at her  home she jumps right in. She knows she is going to 'birdy camp".She gets to spend a lot of time outside her cage,  sit with all the other birds to watch movies and enjoys all their 'birdy' company.
Jasmine has a love affair with my husband and will lean her head next to his hand for a head scratch.
Funny little birds.

2 comments:

  1. Birdy Camp sounds like a dream vacation for these ladies. Maybe even an episode of "Adventures of the Rich and Famous...Birds!"

    ReplyDelete