Friday, March 22, 2013

the wild pigeons of Salisbury beach part 89

After the last devastating snow storm, along with the super high tides to complicate things, the beach remains a mess.
Homes are compromised and businesses are struggling to get the town and state to clear barriers in order to make way for clean up and repairs of both homes and businesses.
Obviously, there were days I couldn't get down to the beach to feed the pigeons.
I saw one poor pigeon missing a leg. The remaining leg was black and he was struggling on the stump. It looked to me like that foot was frost bitten off.
 It was horrible to see.
The flock of six pigeons I routinely see over by Mattie's house in Seabrook seemed to have weathered the storm.
To my surprise I saw a long lost visitor back in action on the beach.
 Brownie!
I haven't seen him in ages! He was a welcome sight!
I also saw a couple of pigeons busy gathering straw and grass in order to make spring nestling nests. And of course, the usual cast of (male) characters were"busting'-a-move" hoping to get 'lucky" (wink)
Time marches on for these plucky pigeons.
Meanwhile, Craow Dum has me concerned.
He seems hungry but avoids the food dish. (!) I put out other food dishes with fresh food out in different spots to hopefully entice him. He hasn't been pooping much either which is also a cause for concern. He will follow me around and make his way onto my lap. I am not sure if he is having a problem eating (If the granuloma is blocking his throat) or it is just a "broody mating thing" going on.
 I've been cleaning his nose, head and mouth twice daily of debris so I can't really tell if there is a problem (out of the ordinary) from what I can see.
I am hoping it is just a spring mating thing and it will pass. I know he has "issues" and I know because of those issues it is only a matter of time that things will eventually make a turn for the worse but it would be horrible for him to starve to death if he can not swallow.
He is sitting on my lap right now as I type. He came upstairs by himself looking for me.
He is a poor creature and I hope he will be OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment