Friday, May 11, 2012

That's campin' kids!

Lately, I've been more and more paranoid about leaving my house. It seems like every time I go on vacation, even for a short trip, either one or more of my birds needs to go to the vet or I get violently ill.
 It's just  not pleasant for me to travel anymore. It always sounds like a good idea at the time when I make vacation plans/reservations but when the time gets closer, I end up in panic mode.
My husband had suggested that perhaps we rent a small RV and take the birds with us. We are then in a mobile "house" with a bed , toilet and all of our birds. I thought that this might be a good idea.
When I did some research I found that it is very very expensive to rent a RV. The rental fee for a small RV  cost close to $2000.00 per week and that does not include gas or camp ground fees.
I couldn't help but reminisce when I use to go camping with my cousins in my uncle's home-made converted old milk truck "camper". He managed to rig up a small shower in it as well a "bucket' toilet. My cousin and I slept outside of it since there was just enough room for my Aunt and Uncle and their infant son.
We loved these camping trips.
I think because my cousin and I were like two unleashed dogs.
We could go playing in the woods for hours, catching frogs, looking for bugs under rocks, getting dirty and peeing where ever we felt like going.
No adults bossing us around or nagging us about shit.
 It was great.
Total freedom.
If we complained about finding earwigs in our sleeping bags or finding aphids in your sandwich, my uncle would just shrug and say, "that's campin' kids!"
That expression "that's campin' kids!" has been the "tough shit!" mantra for my cousin and I in a whimsical funny sort of way.
I do miss those laid back camping days though.
Who knows maybe I'll find one of those old vintage campers so can take my birds with me on trips.
That might be doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment