Friday, May 25, 2012

new addition

I had a dentist appointment today to have my six month teeth cleaning.
The dental hygienist there told me she was glad to see me.
She was looking  to find a new home for her mother's budgie. She had thought of me since I boarded and owned birds. Perhaps I might know someone that would be interested in caring for this bird. 
Her mum was a bit overwhelmed with caring for six dogs, cats and a new grand-child.
I thought of this poor little budgie all by himself not getting any attention.
They did the right thing to do by trying to find a loving home that would be happy to have him.
So yes, this little blue budgie ended up in my home.
He appeared to be healthy and alert. His cage, however, badly needed to be disassembled and scrubbed down
I placed him in one of my clean parakeet cages with a soft perch and mirror toys.
He was very skittish and nervous. He was never" finger trained". (He never learned to hop up on your finger which is a sure sign of being tame) So today,  I just let him just get used to his new surroundings. The other two budgies "Whook" and "Twillinger" flew over right away  to him to investigate.
This was a good sign.
 He started to squawk at Twillinger and share a piece of millet I had inserted between the bars of his cage.
He is wearing a leg band which means he was most likely "purchased" at a Petco or chain pet store.The leg band had a  "08"  number which means he was hatched in 2008 making him four years old-even though he looks very small. He is a cute little guy.
His cere (top fleshy part of his beak) is blue so he is a boy.
I haven't decided on a name yet but it might be "Eric" after the dentist who I used work for.
I think naming him after a dentist is appropriate.

1 comment:

  1. You are truly that little guy's savior. He will have a good home with you.

    ReplyDelete