Thursday, May 10, 2012

Happy birthday Whook

"Whook", our blue male budgie is almost twelve years old. He is our first bird.
He's been through alot over the years. He has reliably entertained us with his antics and the things he says.
As small in statue that he is, he is still the "mayor" of our Bird-Town.
He has been slowing down quite a bit. Sadly, I've noticed he has been favoring one leg.
 This is not a good sign.
Whenever I see a budgie limping or favoring one leg I know what this means.
I try to make excuses to myself thinking, "oh so and  so bit him on the foot' or "maybe he strained a muscle jumping". I've seen this scene repeatedly with Dexter, Pinkhead, Carl, Wilson, and Smitty .
It's a tumor.
The vet says that budgies are "little tumor factories".
I know what is to come so I am making him comfortable and giving him his favorite treats.
Animals are funny in a way. They know what is going on but they carry on til the very end as long as they can.They don't feel sorry for themselves or say, "why me?" They just go by one single day at a time.
I can't help but think of the book, "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom.
Morrie knew it was only a matter of time before he was to depart this world. He wasn't sad but actually grateful because he knew so he could plan stuff and tie up the loose ends of his life.
Whook has been chatting a storm. He's been talking more than ever but then he fizzles and falls asleep.
His pal, "Twillinger" (female budgie) can be a bully and a pest so I let her visit him but then, I'll kick her out of his cage when she gets too much.
I'm not sure how long he will live. Maybe another month. The longest I think he will live to is til September depending on how fast the tumor grows.
So I am spending extra time with him talking to him and enjoying his unwavering loyal company.
I am focusing on one day at a time.

2 comments:

  1. That book is about ALS. The doctor in it is the director of our lab, Robert H. Brown. I had a hard time reading it because it reminded me of my mother's death. So does Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are correct Chris, that the book was about "Morrie" who was stricken with ASL. I found the book actually somewhat soothing on how he viewed and handled his approaching death.
    Yeah, it was definitely hard reading how ASL took him down bit by bit.
    It's a cruel disease.
    Yeah, I know what you mean about Mother's day.
    Sorry Chris :-(
    I will be visiting my Aunt's memorial bench around that time.

    "Making rounds with Oscar" dealt with dementia patients. "A long Goodbye" by Patti Davis talked about her father, the late President Ronald Reagan's, slow decline with Alzheimer's disease. These books were helpful to me to be able to cope and understand stuff.

    ReplyDelete