Sunday, November 6, 2011

the wild parrots of Bonaire part 2













The next day, "Jon the vet", came by in his truck to take me to the parrot rehab.







He was a handsome young enthusiastic gentleman from Spain. He was collecting branches of sea grape and ligum vitum for the parrot's aviaries from the north section of the island. I am guessing (and hoping) that picking me up wasn't too much out of his way.







I was glad he picked me up too.







I would have never found the avairies. They were posted somewhere at the 'outback' of Bonaire.







I was still not feeling well and was suffering from a zomig dull throb in my head and neck. Most likely if I had made an attempt to find the place I would've gotten another flat tire, got lost in the desert or stuck in a rut . My bleached bones would be found years later after running out of my pocket supply of raisens after being eaten alive by hungry desert iguanas and buzzards.







"Sam the director of EchoBonaire' was busy sweeping up the floors of avairies and preparing fresh food for the birds. These two guys certainly were not living the life of luxury. Their living quarters were quite primitive.







There was no running water or electricity. Fresh water was collected in a giant rain barrel. The toilet was a bucket. They had a small generator to run a small hot pot stove and one light bulb. They no refrigeration. Both these guys were emotionally and physically fit to be able to endure these harsh conditions. I was getting eaten alive by the no-see-ums. They didn't seem to be bothered by these pesky bugs.







I was amazed despite the primitive conditions at how clean, healthy and beautiful the avairies were. The sand floors were swept clean, both food and water were fresh. The birds were absolutely delighted with their newly arrived greenery.







They still had about 50 parrots that still needed to be hand fed once a day. Larger parrots ( Yellow-shouldered amazons-Amazona barbadensis) wean later than the smaller parakeets (Brown-throated Caribbean parakeets-Aratinga pertinax. "Prikichi"). Many of parakeets were scheduled soon for their release.







They had to do some behavioral modification in steps in order for the birds to be able survive back in the wild. They had to learn to be afraid of people so part of the program was to make loud noises in order for the birds to relate "fear" and "people" together. They also had to learn to forage on their own (search for native food). So far, they have had success with many of the birds they could release.







I had asked Sam if the sudden increase of parrots that I had seen by the black Durgon was due to his release program. He said that only a handful of parrots from his rehab had been released so far. He suspected the reason for what I viewed as an increase in parrot population was because the parrots had been driven out of their habitats due to construction and destruction of habitat so they are searching food closer to the city.







Perhaps my joy at seeing so many parrots this year will be short lived. The human residents in this area may not like parrots eating their hibiscus plants or hearing them squawking in the morning.







I held my breath.







So what is the long term solution?







I'm not sure.







I think a parrot rehab should be establish for the long term similar to the cat/dog rescues. This will help save parrots that had been abused or injured.







I think the Dutch government should help fund the program to ensure this natural resource to endure.







Educational programs should be provided to educate the public about their native parrots and why they need to be protected.Also teaching the public about proper care for parrots those who have legally obtained parrots.







Perhaps, since Bonaire is a tourist island, introducing 'ecotours" to bird watchers will make the parrots "more valuable" to the natives.. The government would be more eager to protect the parrots from smuggling operations if income was to be made from bird watching tours.







Please check out http://www.echobonaire.com/ to help!

2 comments: