Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Christmas decoration time machine



For the past three years, I've kept Christmas decorating to a minimum.

First of all, less is best. It is also less stressful, psychologically, for me to deal with the post holiday let-down. It's a horribly depressing and a dreadfully daunting task to take all the decorations down especially if there was a lot of them. So I keep it simple now.



I've been buying small little live pine trees that I use as Christmas trees. In the spring time I plant these little trees in my yard. I used do a "fish" theme when I decorated my (then) six foot tall "faux" tree. Now, on my little trees I have a bird theme.

I still like digging in the holiday boxes where I keep my supplies and look at all the decorations I have collected over the years. It is sort of like being launched back in a time machine.



I have decorations from the "60s", "70's", "80's" and "90s". Some are from friends and relatives that had come and gone in my life. I have some are "speciality made" ornaments. Some are souvenirs from places I've been to such as: Washington DC, San Francisco, Grand Cayman, Bonaire, the Bahamas, Maine and New Hampshire. I have religious ones along with some silly Three Stooges ones AND dunkin donuts ones! Some are childhood favorites that I could never part with even though they have gotten scroggy looking through out the years. They reflect various stages in my life.



They are like a diary of my past Christmases. Some were wonderful, some were very bad, some were "life changers", and some were just funny.



I like to peruse through shops and look at all the decorations. There are certain ones that are popular for the times.



I could'nt help notice (*see photo above) of the "Jersey Shore" ornaments.

My first thought was "what the ...?!"



I thought it was pretty funny!

1 comment:

  1. I'm taking your lead this year, V. Minimalist Christmas... that, and I could give a crap about holidays anymore.

    ReplyDelete