Sunday, May 22, 2011

Welcome to the Troll Cathedral part 4







Do you ever have a friend or relative say to you, "oh My God! I saw this and I thought of you...."





It never ceases to crack me up, and amaze me, the things that would prompt those :"I thought of you.." moments.





My long time grade school chum was in Las Vegas last week. She emailed with photos from Vegas stating, "OMG! I thought of you...."



When I opened the email, I cracked up.





She visited the "World Famous Gold & Silver pawn shop" featured on the History Channel called "pawn stars". Low and behold what did she find in one of their locked case displays?!





A troll doll.





And yes, she thought of me.





And of course, I thought it was freakin' hilarious.





She could not believe the troll was being pawned for $70.00! She said, "you just might be a millionaire!"





My oldest troll since 1965-6 "Peter" has seen better days. He's been buried alive a few times, dropped from a fire-escape, colored on and given the prerequisite (bald)hair-cut.





A few years back my Father would be so delighted in himself when he made a "find" from a dollar store. He would say, "oh I thought of you! I have 'special gift" for you!" And pull out this little troll key-chain. I would of course crack up and say, "awesome!" The little troll would hang proudly from the heating knob in my car (and still does)





I have this twisted vision at my funeral of hundreds of these troll dolls lined up on my casket.



What reminds YOUR friends and family of you? :-)



2 comments:

  1. My "thought of you" moments are usually antique perfume bottles, and Native American Jewelry, but it depends on who is doing the thinking. My family associates me with things I collected while I was growing up, while most of my friends think of music or scuba stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you are right about people's perceptions. "Sue" has been a friend of mine since we were six years old. We still collect trolls and (yes, we are sad) still amused by them. Also parakeets. We both had them as kids. I made her mum a pendant with a parakeet wearing a house-dress for X-Mas as well as hand-embroidered pillows with silly parakeets. She loved it!
    Most friends and family also see scuba diving, sharks, birds, fish, iguanas and comic book art as a part of my persona as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete