Saturday, May 14, 2011

bird room



After coming back from our trip to Barbados I started thinking about on how to improve things for my birds.



I routinely change and repair toys for the birds as well as buying fresh greens from Whole Food market on a regualr basis. Ipurchase "new treats advertised in bird keeping supply catalogs as well as a variety of perches to keep their feet healthy.



This time, I want to improve their living space so it is not so confining, but at the same time safe for them.



Every once in awhile my husband will buy a megabucks lottery ticket. We will fantaze of what we would do if if we ever won. He wants to go back to school and I want a bird room.



Since it is unlikely of us hitting any of the winning numbers ever so we decided to make a bird room working with the limited space we already have.



I've moved out everything out of the dining room that is not essential. The only thing that remains in the dining room is the bird cages and the dining room table with just two chairs. I decided to leave the table and chairs in there because the birds enjoy eating with us. It is a big socialization highlight to 'dine with them". I leave a washable tablecloth on the table as well as a dish of fresh food for them to enjoy while we are eating. Maybe that is why we don't have many guests over. I am guessing people think it's gross when the birds eat with us. Thankfully, my cousin (who has dogs) doesn't mind it. She likes my cooking and she likes the birds.



I set up the playstand by the window so the birds can check out what is going on outside.



Next week, I am having custom screens fitted for the door jams of the dining room so the birds can fly free without getting themselves in trouble in other parts of the house that isn't bird safe.



They will have free range in the dining room.



I am going to install rope perches outside their cages so they can perch.



The next step is to install special full spectrum lighting. I am in the process of researching that now to get the proper lighting and fixtures in order to promote good health.



I need a fixture that will not flicker (T-8) (an electronic ballast not magnetic ) with at least two flourescent full spectrum bulbs with a CRI number greater than 92 with a color temperature of 5000-5800K.



Yes, I am the crazy bird lady your mother warned you about!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good idea, V. Most people's dining rooms aren't used very often for large gatherings. This way, you'll be using the room for a large birdy gathering, won't you? I think it's neat that they like to be part of your meals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, the birds love meal time.:-)
    The screens should be here in about two weeks. I checked out some actually decent flush mount fluorescents. They only problem is they come with built in diffuser covers (?)I don't want that because the whole purpose of putting them up is for installing the special sun-light bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some how...this does not surprise me. Not..at..all. :o)

    ReplyDelete