Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bad Art






Ok I'll admit it.






I am a serious art snob.






Nothing makes me cringe more than when you visit somebody's house and they have a peice of shit hanging over their fire-place mantle that they pass off as art.






You know what I am talking about.






Some crappy water color "print" in a crappy frame that they bought at TJMaxx masquerading like it's a Winslow knock-off.






What is even worse, is those prefab textured (most likely made in China)"oil paintings" of a landscape or still life.






OMG






I can't stand when people put up "prints" of say, done by"famous artists" to give off the impression that 'they are cultured and sophisticated"






Oh, give me a F*&^%ing break, you pretentious ass.






Gag....






A visitor thought she was doing me a favor by taking down one of my paintings and putting up a "print" she had bought me as a gift.






I stood there in shock.






I was speechless.







I was pissed.



Needless to say I took that print off the wall and put my painting back up.




I like seeing little kids draw and paint.



I would rather see a child's crayon drawing, matted and framed hanging on the wall.






At least that is REAL art, hand-done and from the imagination.






Seriously






Children's art work is real and unpretentious.






Last weekend, I went to a craft/art show up in North Hampton.






I really enjoy seeing what local crafters/artists do.






I bought some home-made soaps, jellies, and maple products. I like to support our local folks.






Not only did I buy consumable products I also bought an exquisite peice of art-work done by a wood working crafter from Connecticut.






It was one of those items that made you stop in your tracks.






It was more money than I would've normally spent on a non-essential item but it was so original and well done. It was a hanging wall sculpture of a variety of different types of parrots. It was done peice by peice in a mosaic of different types of polished wood.






Yes, it had that "wow" factor.






As an artist, I could not resist.






I rarely have art work on my walls that I did not do myself with the exception of a lovely oil painting of a chicken done by sadly, a (now, deceased) Newburyport artist and a collage done by another talented Newburyport artist.






If you are going to present art work in your home splash out at an art show and buy an original peice.






If not, you will be forever condemned as a contributor to the museum of shit art.

2 comments:

  1. The only thing hanging on my walls are my photographs. I want to see that parrot relief sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Pictures of all your favorites as mentioned above. And, yes, we have one of yours hanging in the condo. It's of John Thomas Foley surfacing from a dive with a skull in his hand. It's one of a kind, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete