Thursday, February 26, 2015

the wild pigeons of salisbury beach part 110

I went jogging this morning only to find a poor pigeon face down in the snow bank. When I got a closer look the bird was still  alive but frozen stuck  to the ice.
Oh my God.
I managed to pull him off the ice. He must have been there in this position for God knows how long. Maybe he was hit by a car or a hawk strike, and then did a face plant in the snow..There was some blood in the snow near his mouth. This didn't look good but I couldn't just walk away.
 I gathered him up in a towel and brought him home. Even though the basement temp is only 42F it was still warmer than being outside. I put in him an aquarium with a towel and heating pad. After an hour the ice melted off. I really didn't think he would make it.  I let him rest so I could  assess his situation later.
A few hours later he was looking around. I introduced water and food but he refused. Later in the afternoon I called a few vets but they only referred me to Tufts in Grafton (that is a 3 hour highway drive) and most likely he would have to be put down.
I warmed up a few peas and moisten some pellets and shoved them down his throat. He later pecked a little at the seeds at the bottom of the aquarium. Sadly, his legs are paralyzed and he can't move other than his head.
I contacted the rehab lady for advice and she recommended seeing a vet and well, I just told you what happened.
For now, there is nothing I can do but wait and see.

1 comment: