Thursday, February 5, 2015

superballs


Ok I'll admit I watched the super bowl.
And it was actually a pretty exciting game, "ball" controversies and all.
As you know I am not really a football fan but with that being said I had recently took an interest in the game as a "new"mode of conversation.
When I visit my father in the nursing home it has been hard to talk to him.
It used to be easy years ago because we both loved cars, trucks and discussing our big time "kills' (bargain/coupon) grocery shopping.
Sadly because of his dementia these topics cause great anxiety and agitation for him (and me having to experience his agitation). Even though dementia has taken his mind and the Parkingson's disease has taken his body he still "insists" that he can drive and had his license taken away "unjustly" because all (he) "wants to do is go shopping at the Star market".(The Star market  has not been in business for years)
 It is so horribly sad. It is terrible what dementia does to a person and how it profoundly affects your family.
So I started to take an interest in football because I felt that this was both a 'safe" topic to talk about and something he had always loved.
I would sit with my husband and ask questions so I could learn and understand the game more.  I couldn't understand why there would be only a minute left in a game and that dam minute could last up to a half an hour. Thankfully, he didn't seem to mind too much when I asked questions. The birds all seem to love watching sports. They would all pile up on the couch sitting on my lap, head and shoulder.
So after watching (or listening) to a game I had material to talk to my father about. Yup, I know who Brady, the "Gronk", Edelman and Butler are.

I like the "Gronk'. He's a big goober with a lot of personality. He's good to his fans too.
I watched "the half time show" too because I like Katy Perry and that show was  itself was with some controversy. It appears one of her dancing sharks was "half in the bag".
So when I visited my father I would ask him: "What was the score? Who is your favourite guy? What team do you hate? What did you think of that interception play? What did you think of that silly 'deflategate' controversy?"
At least it was something.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it a coincidence that my father's dementia also had him railing about losing his license to drive? That "badge" means a lot to a person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many health care workers say that with most male patients with dementia the losing of their license is the most thing they obsess about.

      Delete