Sunday, March 1, 2015

the wild pigeons of salisbury beach part 111

Well I've had the "snow plant' pigeon under my care since thursday.
There has been some improvement.
I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
"Movement" gives me "hope", but that does not mean that in the end the poor thing will make it. I do not know if he will heal despite my best efforts but we shall see.There is now movement in his legs and if I put a small cup of seed right under his beak, hold him firmly and prop him up, he will eat. When I first picked him up on thursday, there was no movement at all, and he refused to eat.
I've given him a few doses of metacam which helps with the inflammation. With this all being said, he still refuses to drink water.  I've had to stick a syringe down his throat a few times a day to hydrate him.
He can not "sit' properly. He tumbles to his side and pushes off one foot franticly causing him to either lay on his side or tumble on his back. He'll poop and then roll in it getting it all over him. He is much more feistier than he was earlier.
I had contacted Jody from Cape Ann wildlife. She no longer runs the rescue but I thought I could seek some experienced advice. I brought him over to her home this morning for a 'look/ see".
She didn't feel any fractures but she did think he had some spinal damage. This may or may not heal. Some birds she had similar to this did heal over a long time and others, did not.
She suggested devising a "sling" in order to keep the bird in a normal position in order to eat and poop properly. The sling she talked about is made out of a spongy under-rug non-slip material. I ran up to walmart to get it to construct.
In the meantime, she gave me some prophylactic meds for parasites. Flagyl for canker :1/6th a pill once a day for 7-10 days.Vetafarm wormout: one pill each day for days then again in 10 days to make sure he doesn't have yucky worms.
Right now, he is in the basement in an aquarium with a heating pad. Once he is finished with his worm meds I'll bring him upstairs and set up the sling where it will be warmer.
Jody was cautiously optimist in his recovery and suggested I call her vet again to possibly get an x-ray.
I will keep you updated on his progress-good or bad.

1 comment:

  1. Pigeon mender. That's what we'll call you. Heck with pigeon fancier. You're much more than that. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete